We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
221 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Sawasdee. Can any Thailand Room foodie experts give me some tips on eating street food. I am American with a Western Stomach.like medium spice!

The foods I like from the street include:

1.Roasted corn on the cob

2. Fried Chicken ( drumsticks, breast)

3. Green Curry ( Mai Phet)

4. Fried Pork Skins

5. Stir Fried Veggies ( no meat)

6.Hot Soups with Veggies and Thai Herbs

I am staying in the Suan Plu, Sathorn, Silom area ( with BTS travel to Siam area)

Any STREET foodie advice? OR should I stick to the Dept. Store Food Courts.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Dear American friend,

I am an Italian with a stomach...not sure what brand it is but it has eaten plenty of Thai food and it has survived.

Street food vs Street food in food courts involves

free car fumes, heat, the odd soi dog and plastic chairs for the former

air conditioning, possibly clean tables, no pets and larger eating areas for the latter.

Arguably, some westerners feel more comfortable with the food courts and the first time around are overly concerned.

As for me, street food it's all part of the experience.

As to what to have, I would suggest where to have it is more relevant - here is a link

migrationology.com/2011/…

my favourite place in that list is #09 (Sukhumvit soi 38)

Best not to tip for street food...just order, eat and pay (just kidding)

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 19 January 2013, 22:42
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Try street pad Thai, deep fried chicken skin, deep fried taro/sweet potato and of course som tam tai (mai phet)

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Eating with dirty fingers will probably get you sicker faster! I never go anywhere without some wet-wipes in my bag. Just figure that every door knob, every door you push open, every chair back, every hand rail, etc. the previous person or persons touched it without washing his hands after using the toilet!

I like the boiled ham hocks with greens and boiled egg and rice. But the vendor has to have a good turnover and the food hot. Same for noodle soup, got to be hot and I choose the noodles, greens and pieces of chicken that goes in! No chicken rear ends, no heads, no feet, no entrails or blood!

I kind of like fried bananas too! And every now and then some crepes suzette type fried pastries. But not too often do I buy sliced fruit on the street. In supermarkets packages - maybe yes, but if I buy fruit off the street it will be whole and not sliced. I take it home and wash it off then eat it.

I buy rolls in a bakery too. I like bread with my meals.

Happy eating.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 00:27
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

I have always questioned the logic of, after all the warnings not to eat anything raw, many will list somtam as a "must try". My gastroenterologist, Thai, when I mentioned I liked somtam, said "DON'T EAT SOMTAM - NEVER EAT SOMTAM !!! "

In my somtam, I always leave out goong hang and poo, two ingredient that, beside not liking, I find troublesome.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

That's why I say som tam tai. The som tam without the black juice and black crab.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

But, it usually has the dried shrimps, aka goong hang.

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

probably more danger on the forums. personaly i go som tam kai khem with them dried shrimps and skip the pla ra. to each his own with many version to find your own, papaya mango cucumber.

i too like to kau ka moo stewed pork knuckles with stewed egg and intestine and them pork skins fried snacking on nam prik noom drinkig beers.

for some suggestions on your requests definitely do the fried chicken. deep fried in palm oil here its not the healthiest but wiill put KFC to shame in flavor and the price is only 25 to 40 baht per piece. herb soups can be found everywhere, tom saep mostly in restaurants but others like gao lao malak gai can be found.

when we eat the street food its for 3 reasons. cheap, hungry and lastly when we walk by something that looks or smells good we give in. i understand you want that experiance too so just go for what looks good. its been safe for us, if queasy down a shot of something hard to make that mind over matter believe youve killed any germs. gin kao krup

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Some interesting insights in this thread.

X/6 and Mmonkie - I have heard similar advice and to avoid troubles I also opt for a som tam without the black little crabs.

Now, because I am not a resident, I am not going to even pretend to be an authority on such issues.

However, on my last sojourn there, I tried a few eateries at Terminal 21 and one of them was Yum Saap, which I believe has a number of branches.

I cannot even begin to describe how succulent their fried chicken and their som tam were.

Was I just lucky? Or perhaps hungry?

Views welcome.

Giorgio Federico

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Yum Saap is not bad at all, they do a very nice fried chicken breast with a spicy sauce served with chicken and gourd soup. Mrs Gippy likes their nam prik with fish and the shrimpy rice that you mix with shallots, sweet pork etc.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating " Street Food in BKK" Safety Food Prep?

Thank you Gippy,

I was a little hesitant with my recommendation at first because it was my first visit there and I know on that occasion I was also quite hungry...more than usual.

It was so delicious.

I have generally been impressed with Terminal 21 and as we are on the subject of Street Food/Food courts, their Pier 21 replicates many of he popular streed food popular dishes and they are just as very reasonably priced.

Best

Giorgio Federico