We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai
Level Contributor
262 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

Hi All,

Do we leave our passports in the hotel room locker or should we carry them with us always.

thanks in advance

milma

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

Hi Milma. When you move around in Thailand, for example on sightseeing, passports are not needed unless its linked to some kind of identification requirement. It is better to keep passports safely in a locker at hotel room. If you are not sure, you should call relevant office of the attraction etc to find out and carry if it is a MUST.

For foreign exchange etc the banks would ask for the passport, but not forex booths (unlike in India, where you need passport).

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

Up to you to gauge the pros and cons of it.

Passport in the room safe would be safer but safes have been known to get broken into.

Carrying it around increases the risk of you losing it.

I leave my passport in the hotel.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

We always pop them in the hotel safe in our room.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,129 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

We take photocopis of our passports around with us and leave the original in our accommodation in a safe place. If you have a visa in advance of your arrival into Thailand best to photocopy the page with the visa on as well or get one later if you get Visa On Arrival.

bangalore
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

By law tourists are supposed to carry their passport at all times in Thailand, maybe risky.Wonder if a photo copy should be enough.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
709 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport

It all depends on the hotel that u stay in. If it's a nice hotel, just leave it in the safe n the other way around. Or u can leave it with the front desk/ reception.

Carrying passport with u increases the chance of losing it.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport

Keep PP locked in your bags. Keep a photocopy with you, always.

While making VAT refund purchases, you can show the photocopy and buy the things.

BUT at Superrich exchange you need the passport. This place gives the best exchange in Bangkok.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 03:57
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport

A photocopy is fine. That's what most expats carry. Copy of details page, visa, departure card.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport

By law you should carry however I only ever carry a copy unless the actual passport is needed. I leave the passport in the room safe and so far no problems.

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport

It really depends on what your doing.....

If you bring attention to yourself it might be in your best interest to carry it with you.

I frequent Thailand and never carry it, nor have I ever been bothered by the police. I have spoke with the police on the streets and from my experience super friendly and polite.

When I first came here I had the notion to worry about it being in my pocket and one time I washed it in my laundry...now when I leave the country for visa runs i put it in a ziploc bag. (its clean enough) :)

Now it just sits in my apartment in the drawer.

Super safe here.....

I don't stay in the touristy area of BKK though either......