We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

We are moving from Singaproe where we are living on Sentosa - before we lived in Hong Kong at Discovery Bay and now we are posted to Thailand. Where should we live with our dogs that it is safe (without being attacked by street dogs or getting in the traffic) to walk them for an hour or so in Bangkok?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

That's a tough one without knowing where you're working, commute, requirements etc. Your company should have relocation staff to help you on location.

A piece of advise is to carry a stick, preferably a BIG one, when walking your dogs. It's not just the street dogs, often times the house/owned dogs are just as bad if not worst. Most are not trained and the owners just let them run wild. Plus because they are protected and have a home they are very territorial and are unpredictable and nasty.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

Guess with Mmonkie.

Will you be in the heart or the city or in the surrounding areas. I guess if your worried take a big stick :) get your "whack on"

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

No - I do not suggest you do that, you may end up hitting a dog that belongs to someone in your same street / soi and that could lead to all kinds of serious issues.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

I think most dog owners, and I use that term loosely as this is Thailand, would rather you gave their dog a little whack than let it bite you. It cost my neighbours over 5,000 baht to pay for my rabies shots when their dog got me.

Anyway, for the OP, if you are on a decent ex-pat package then get the company to put you into a high end housing estate. Our local one called Nichada Thani has no stray dogs and plenty of dog walking areas as should all good places.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

Where should we live? As indicated, that might depend on where you are working, and possibly working in which occupation?

In Bangkok, many companies and embassies have preferred housing locations - the above mentioned Nichada Thani in the northern suburbs being a case in point.

If you 're expected to find your own accommodation then please tell us a bit more. in fact, you might be better off posting in the http://www.thaivisa.com forum, which has many subforums dedicated to living in various areas,

6. Re: Moving to Bankok with 2 large dogs and a baby...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 06:17