We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

Hi, I'm considering a trip to Bangkok to make a few suits for my partner and potentially a wedding dress for me.

Any recommendations of good tailors/dressmakers? If websites/emails are available as well that would be of great assistance.

Thanks!

London, England
Level Contributor
380 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

Good luck! If you have done your due diligence research on TA, you will have realised that you are stepping into a minefield. Quality tailoring in Bangkok is notoriously difficult, mainly due to the fact that most "tailors" are just fronts that outsource all the work to sweatshops. Eventually, my husband found an impeccable tailor for formal shirts, but the starting price is at least 2500baht per shirt and the manufacturing (yes, done on the premises) takes at least a week. Anyone can deliver in 24 hours, but the quality will be commensurate. We had lunch in Bangkok last week with a prolific longtime TA contributor on Bangkok (who has now deleted their TA presence and, no, it isn't bbtony) who said that their favourite tailor who was reliable but expensive is now dealing massively with Myanmar elite customers and is virtually invisible in Bangkok!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but this is the biggest day of your life and I'd hate to see it marred by bad tailoring. Other DEs say, quite reasonably, that they decline to recommend tailors as it is subject to such personal expectations and cost limits for the purchaser. Basic guide is that if there is someone in front of a "tailor" touting for business, walk on by and never, ever shake the proffered hand: they don't let go without a struggle!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

Unless you have good personal reccomendations of a tailor in Bangkok from someone who you trust implicitly I would avoid them like the plague.

As has been discussed on here many times before most tailors shops are only a front with all the tailoring being done using cheap labour in a handfull of factories, clothes are frequently not delivered until late leaving you no time for alterations etc snd the quality of the tailoring is often very poor, added to that they are never as cheap as the initial 'lure you in' deals lead you to believe IMHO you are far better off getting your clothes made at home.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

Few suits etc for him, yes but a wedding dress for you, no. This is my honest opinion.

Seach for tailor and Pinky above and you'll see what me and husband have been using for last 20 years or more...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,088 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

A wedding dress is nothing you will want to toss the dice for. Buy it at home where you can have it done to your satisfaction.

5. Re: Finding a Suit tailor & Dress Maker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:19