We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

We are planning a day trip to the Kanchanaburi area (going with Tour with Tong) but due to trying to fit our selected attractions into the day we can only unfortunately pick either the Hellfire Pass or the train ride along the Death Railway.

My question is which one would most people suggest as the better option?

My husband can't decide as he would like to do both but we just can't. We also have 2 teenage girls who I think would enjoy the train ride more.

thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

Difficult decision, we did both, whilst the train ride was fun and you also get to walk across the bridge along the side of the hill - I think visit to Hellfire Pass would have been our preference - it is very moving when you think what they went through even our 15 year old got very emotional. a lot of history.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

Hi,

That of course depends on the interests of your family. Indeed, both are well worth experiencing but do be aware that the train is usually late. Perhaps this will disrupt your schedule and in that case the Hellfire Pass may be the better of the two options.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

After being to both with Tong I'm glad I don't have to make a choice.

Both were fantastic.

Moe Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

Hi Jules65

My wife and I did both. Perhaps, after the ride from Bangkok, Hellfire Pass and the walk along the railway track might be good. The walk is not strenuous. Additionally, the museum/visitor center is excellent. Don't forget to get an audio guide pack from the visitor center if you decide to do the walk.

Regards

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

We did the tiger temple tour with tong whihc including some of the death railway

I think you are able to do a tour of just the death railway or both??

We enjoyed it (as much as you can with the name death railway..) our tour guide Ms Daeng really knew her history, we learnt a lot that day

check it out here (mainly the top section and a little of the bottom)

travellingking.com/tiger-temple-tour-with-to…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

We have done both with Tong & if i had to choose one i would go with the hellfire pass trip, make sure it includes the weary dunlop memorial park such a moving experience.

Enjoy

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

I agree with Tiger but I would do the Death Railway, Hellfire Pass and the Weary Dunlop Museum, it is easy to do all of them, what else have you added in to make it not possible, maybe you could drop something :)

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

I have done them both and if I had to choose, it would be Hellfire Pass.

Really really interesting.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

Thanks everyone who answered, we have decided to go with Hellfire pass and the Weary Dunlop museum. We will still be able to have a stop off at a point where the train passes for a photo.

10. Re: Help Hellfire Pass or Death Railway trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:18