We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick pockets

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Pick pockets

Yesterday, a friend if mine walked on the skywalk from Central World to Chidlom BTS station. She noticed 2 young women behind her when she left Central World. The 2 followers also seemed to head for Chidlom BTS, and my friend ignored them. She had her handbag (one of those large Longchamp type bags) hung over the shoulder and tugged under her arm. When she reached the BTS barrier to get the ticket out she noticed that the zip was partly open. Her iPhone was missing. - Watch your handbag.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick pockets

Thanks for the warning, this happened to me in the metro in Rome, I now always keep the zip facing the other way but in Thailand I no longer take a bag anywhere as there'a also a lot of bag snatching goes on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick pockets

BBC showed a program this week about pick pockets operating in London and on the Tube.

It happens in every city.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick pockets

The missus have lost multiple phones through that. Chrella's suggestion is a good one, have the zipper for openning facing towards the front rather then the back.

Brazil
Level Contributor
97 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick pockets

Coming from a country where pickpockets are spread in big towns, wherever I go I carry a small rucksack on my chest rather than on my back. Fortunately it has always worked out fine, including the places mentioned above, Rome, London and BKK. However, in 2000 pickpockets tried to pick my father in law's wallet inside the subway train in Paris. He realized that and forced his wallet in until we left the train. Another time gipsys tried my husband´s wallet, while one of them offered to read his hand. He realised and started shouting at her in Portuguese: go away from me! She got so scared that she desisted. It happens everywhere unfortunately.

gympie
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick pockets

I always pin a babies nappy pin through the zipper and then through the little ring on the bag , nappy pins are very hard to undo ..

gympie
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick pockets

I always pin a babies nappy pin through the zipper and then through the little ring on the bag , nappy pins are very hard to undo ..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick pockets

Pacsafe bags are slash proof and have zippers that can be secured shut. I find them excellent.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick pockets

There are lots of signs in English around the city centre warning people about bag snatchers and pickpockets.

9. Re: Pick pockets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 05:18