We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to avoid in Bangkok??

sheffield
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
What to avoid in Bangkok??

Going to Bangkok for 3 days as part of my honeymoon and just wanting info on what to see and what to avoid!

Would like to know if anything bad has happened to anyone and what to watch out for!

Thanks!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Hi,

Avoid the touts around the Grand Palace, exercise extreme caution if you take a tuk tuk and always get a taxi that uses a meter.

Otherwise, a pretty safe and wonderful city. Have fun.

Cheers

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
954 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Myke, you need to start off by reading the "FAQ Potential Scams" to the right of this post. There are heaps of posts here on TA that will give you an idea of what can happen in Bangkok. Read them and be aware. And also trawl through this whole forum for ideas on how to prevent being taken for a ride in Thailand. A great country, just keep your wits about you.

Cheers, Kevin

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Bangkok is a lovely place, just be smart and enjoy yourselves

dont go down dark alley's late at night. just use common sense.

dont do something you would do in your country.

Politley say no thank you to Tuk Tuk drivers if you dont want a ride. Dont beleive that the grand palace is closed.. always tell the taxi drivers to use the metre when you get in the taxi, if they say its broken or try to make a deal politley say thank you and get out and move onto the next taxi.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Hi

Good advice from all above. Read FAQ about scams on the right hand side corner of this page.

Happy holiday :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Avoid people like me:)

Also avoid fights with locals it can turn nasty very quickly.

Avoid the girls who are extremely model-esque and who are into you. They are probably boys.....unless that's what you're into ;)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

If you hire a Tuk Tuk have to ask the price every time before you go with them.

Take a Taxi Meter t they charge by meter at start from THB35 not used for one price charge.

Be careful for your handbag!! have to carry close with you when you walking around.

G S
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

it's a pretty safe city. think carefully before agreeing to final prices in taxis, tuktuks & all purchases. taxi drivers are supposed to use meters but most will try to negotiate a set price with tourists. I've had a few drive off when I insisted on the meter, so it depends on how desperately you need the ride. in any case, taxis are not expensive, but the BTS, MRT and river ferries are much cheaper & more efficient, so use those modes of transport whenever you can.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Avoid tailors and jewlry stores. There is no such thing like cheap and top quality.

sheffield
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Thanks everyone! Ill be sure to have a good read! Always got my wits about me when it comes to going abroad!

Suppose it's just the usual stuff that happens in the busy cities!

Thanks!

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to avoid in Bangkok??

Avoid strangers who approach you outside the grand palace or temples and tell you it is closed.

It's not!

Avoid tuk-tuks, and do not get into taxis who offer a special promo tour of bangkok and safari world etc.

And just the basic precautions.