We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how humid will it be in March?

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
how humid will it be in March?

Will I need to package my electronics with silica gel, which someone recommended that I do on an Amazon tour last year. My devices were the only ones that didn't get affected by the humidity and conk out.

I haven't seen this problem mentioned in recent posts.

thank you,

Charlotte

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
glasgow
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how humid will it be in March?

No idea about electronics- sorry

Have been in April, and humidity / heat oppressive

I have also been in March a different year and weather much more comfortable

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how humid will it be in March?

was there early April 12 and whilst it was humid was not overwhelming. However we came from a warm climate whilst colorado will be coming out of winter. depends what your tolerance level is??

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,847 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how humid will it be in March?

The problem is coming and going, from air conditioning, to the outside environment. If you allow your stuff to reach temperature, before exposing it directly to the humidity, you shouldn't have a problem.

My camera gear has weathered well over the last 5 years.

I do has a silica pack in my bag.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 03:33
Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how humid will it be in March?

Humidity is high in March (April is the hottest month and very humid). Being a tropical country it is with us all the time. Oct 6 has posted a good suggestion!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how humid will it be in March?

On the basis that safe is better than sorry I would use the silica it is not as if it is overly bulky or heavy,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how humid will it be in March?

Weigh up all the pro and cons then decide, it is very humid but we have never had a problem with any cameras, laptops etc.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how humid will it be in March?

Unless you go into the jungle you will be fine.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how humid will it be in March?

April is the time of year when we typically go to Thailand, and never had a problem. Although, I have left my iPhone out and got the over heating triangle symbol. And, my kindle screen did go last year, but I think that's probably because I sat on it. Being the trusting soul that I am, I left my kindle on my sun bed, on display, while we went out for a swim. Didn't think twice when I sat down, and it was under my towel. We think some kind soul, having seen it on display, probably put it under the towel for protection.

However, silica sounds like a good idea - where do you get it from?

Mags

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how humid will it be in March?

Might as well play safe and use the silica

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how humid will it be in March?

little packets of silica come packaged with a lot of things you buy, such as shoes. I typically have just thrown them away. But last year I went to the Amazon and read posts saying you needed to protect your electronic devices from humidity and to keep them when not in use in a ziplock bag with one of those packets of silica. I must say it was kind of a hassle, but my electronics did not act quirky, like other folks' stuff did.

I went to REI and asked if they sold them and the sales guy went into the back and brought out hundreds of them and said take as many as I like. (free) Any place that sells shoes would probably have a good supply of them, since they indeed have a lot of shoeboxes.