We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure tax Bangkok?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Villages...
Level Contributor
70 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Departure tax Bangkok?

Is there a departure tax when leaving Bangkok? Does it have to be paid in cash? Thank you.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

Hi,

You don't pay departure tax any longer since it is included in the price of the ticket.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

I have never had to pay this tax as part of the departure process. It was included in the price of my airline ticket.

The below is from the Suvarnabhumi Airport website.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport Departure Tax (Bangkok International Airport Departure Tax) = 700 Baht

Since February 1, 2007 the 700 Baht international departure tax was included in the price of flight tickets.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

Much better now that departure tax is on the ticket.

Did have a problem 10 years ago plus when I ran out of money and did not have the departure fee.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

When they opened the new airport, the departure tax was includes in the price of the ticket. At Don Muang, one had to purchase the stamp separately.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,160 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

Tax included In your ticket price.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

Departure tax is 800 Baht from Jan 2013 and it is included in your ticket if you are stopping or departing from Bangkok.

However if you are in transit at BKK up to 12 hours it is not included in your ticket and so if you leave the airport you have to pay the departure tax at check in.

This is one of the reasons why it can make financial sense to stay at the Louis' Tavern Dayrooms when in in transit, particularly if there are two persons travelling, as it hardly makes it worthwhile to go to one of the close by airport hotels when you do a cost comparison.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 04:51
Daegu, South Korea
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

thank you for your kind information

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

If you belong to certain categories of people then I believe the departure tax is waived

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

AnishQuenim, what do you mean by `certain categories of people'?????

Even for me, it was included in the ticket for both countries as in mine and in Bangkok..it's so much easier this way...

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,160 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure tax Bangkok?

Treshi , you just beat me to it. I also want to know what 'certain categories of people' means.

AnishQuenim , Its included in everyones plane ticket, its not waived.