We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
296 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

Hi !

I've a couple of queries ?

My husband & i are visiting Bangkok next week & i wanted to see a show. There seems to be Siam Niramit & the Calypso cabaret ? We had gone to the Phuket Fantasea a few years back & really enjoyed it....Siam Niramit seems to be a similar kind of show ?

Has anyone seen the Calypso cabaret & is it worth it ? Any other shows that i'm not aware of ?

Thanks !

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

I have seen both Siam Niramit at Bangkok and Fantesia at Phuket. I found it similar. I would not suggest you to see Siam Niramit as you have seen Fantesia.

If you have seen Simon Cabaret (Phuket) then I feel it will be worth skipping Calypso as well as might be similar. If not seen Simon, then you can certainly have a look at Calypso. You can buy tickets cheaply here :

hotels2thailand.com/bangkok-show-event/Bangk…

You can get tickets cheaply even at your hotel travel desk. Take show only tickets, as dinner will not be worth it. Also you can travel on your own to Asiateque.

At Asiateque besides, Calypso Cabaret & shopping, there is newly opened ASIATIQUE SKY (Ferris wheel - Price Baht 250). If you like heights, you can try this wheel. This is smaller than London eye and Singapore Flyer.

Another similar is Playhouse Cabaret Show at Asia Hotel 296 Phayathai Road (in front of Ratchathewi BTS Station) . Timing 8.15 to 9.30 PM and another show at 9.45 to 11 PM . About Baht 800.

You can visit Snake farm, which is very different and very exciting. Do ask details here, if you want.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 11:29
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

The main difference is Siam Niramit is performed by real boys and girls. Calypso performed by girls who are really boys.

Siam Niramit is not a cabaret, it's a "cultural" performance that shows the history, culture and mythology of Thailand. Lots of wire work and quite entertaining.

Avoid the buffet, terrible.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

Although the whole "take" on Calypso is that it is a "ladyboy show", that's not to say that some of Siam Niramit's girls aren't boys. It's simply not the draw.

Having been to both, I definitely prefer Siam Niramit, and found it to be a much better value.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

They are totally different, i would say Siam Niramit is more Cultural and give you the sense of Thai but Calypso is actually the Lady Boy show, it's for entertaining but both are worth visiting.

Can you go for both :)??

5. Re: Siam Niramit or Calyso ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:17