We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

We are looking at staying in Krabi for 8 nights in late October. We originally were going to fly direct from Melbourne to Bangkok, stay a day & night (primarily for shopping) & then catch a connecting flight to Krabi. Our other option is to fly direct to Kualar Lumpur followed by a connecting flight to Krabi. Which is better for 5 star accomodation & shopping. I would prefer to shop in a mall & am looking at getting bargains (not boutique shopping) bags, sunglasses, shoes etc etc Which is cheaper, safer & has a better atmosphere? This is a family holiday so there has to be something to keep our children amused too.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Bangkok hands down. Shopping is much better, usually cheaper and there are more malls and markets to choose from. I like KL but it's a bit sleepy compared to Bangkok.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Hi

Bangkok anytime both for 5* accoms and shopping :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Hi

I like Kuala Lumpur but Bangkok wins for shopping and 5* hotels. Enjoy your hotel.

Chrissy

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

If you have not been to Bangkok earlier, then you should be in Bangkok. Also as suggested above, shopping is a lot better in Bangkok.

KL has also its own charm, though.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

For a short stay? Most folks on this board would, naturally, vote for Bangkok. For me it's a tie. Both places have more than enough to keep you interested for a short stay.

IMHO, prices in Thailand have risen more than in Malaysia in recent years, and Malaysia was generally a better value to begin with (especially when compared with Bangkok and the internationally-oriented beaches, rather than the rest of Thailand). Food in Malaysia is more eclectic. Malaysia has fewer over-built places overly dependent (and arguably preying on) overseas tourists. Malaysia is the main hub for Air Asia (Thai Air Asia is vibrant, but can't match the parent company for routes and deals.) KUL airport is generally considered a better facility than the mix of BKK and DMK. Skytrax gives KUL a 4-star rating. Skytrax doesn't rate BKK or DMK airports in Bangkok, but their rated quality peers are at the 3-star level.

People who say the shopping isn't great in KL have not been to the KLCC area (let alone traditional and ethnic markets).

For a longer stay, Bangkok is a world-class city - a title that few would apply also to KL. But, after sampling both places on a short stay, only you could then decide which is better for you - for what specific purpose. For me, both are great.

Why not pass through Bangkok in one direction, and via KL in the other? If the airlines don't offer you a reasonable deal that way, there's always Tiger airways via Singapore as an additional option.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 06:17
Singapore
Level Contributor
171 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

I would vote for Bangkok for its shopping and ease of public transport. I was in KL last Dec and having been to its major shopping areas like KLCC etc, I still prefer Bangkok.

And with the roads jammed packed in both KL and Bangkok, Bangkok's BTS/MRT system is much better and less packed than KL's often confusing rail services.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Have been to both and love both so my choice would be based on flight prices and schedule

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

My family and l (kids 8 & 10) have been to Malaysia for the last 2 yrs. We spent some time in KL and the rest of the time travelling in the country. We really enjoyed KL and found there was a variety of things to do. The shopping is great, we stayed in the main shopping area near all the malls great. We also visited Sunway Lagoon fantastic-boys loved it, did a day trip to Batu Caves and a day trip to Melacca beautiful as well as a half day tour of the city. The people are lovely and the food great. Oh we also went to China town and the Craft Markets which were also great. As for Bangkok l've never been but we are going this June so who knows? Good luck with your decision l'm sure both are great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Have been to both and much prefer Bangkok.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better for a short stay... Bangkok or Kualar Lumpur

Another vote for Bangkok, whether it's for a short or long stay. It's an awesome city.