We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help with My Itinerary Please

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help with My Itinerary Please

I will be visiting Thailand in November and am trying to put together a suitable itinerary to see the main attracations and cities of interest to me. I am a female travelling solo so like to go to places that can be reached by public transport rather than taxis and tuk-tuks. I walk a lot when sight-seeing.

I like UNESCO heritage sites, monuments, well-known temples, museums, churches with stained-glass windows and other embellishments, gardens, boat trips, culture, organized daytrips to villages and floating markets, and doing self-guided tours that pass landmark buildings and sites.

This is what I have come up with so far:

Arrive in Bangkok early morning.

- Spend 6 nights in Bangkok - including daytrips - any suggestions?

- Chiang Mai – 2 to 3 Days

- Phuket – 2 to 3 Days including half-day trip to a couple of islands

I look forward to your suggestions, advice, and feedback. I have travelled extensively in Europe but this is my first solo visit to SE Asia.

Is 6 nights in Bangkok too long? Will there be enough for me to see to keep me busy? I have checked out the main attractions on Tripadvisor and other sites and there seems to be a lot to see in Bangkok. However, I hope I can get to these places with ease using public transport.

I am planning on stayng downtown, near Nana BTS (metro) station.

I welcome any suggestions and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Evelyn

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,075 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

Hi Evelyn,

Six days in Bangkok isn't too long at all, especially so as you plan on doing day trips. You could visit the Damneon Floating market along with Kanchanaburi for one day. Since you are interested in Temples Ayutthaya is worth a visit on another day.

Check out the FAQ's on the right hand side of this page, especially 'What to see/do in Bangkok'.

You can get to the likes of the Grand Palace and Wat's Pho and Arun by using a combination of the Skytrain and Riverboat Express.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 16:00
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

Hi Ev- 6 nites in bkk is perfectly fine. Just make sure u fit everything in properly. U should stay in prathunam area, like pathumwan princess which is central to evrythg. Mrt and shopping right there. Riverside is nice but not easy to.navigate around bkk. Wat Benchamabophit is my fave temple. Small but beautiful contrast of colors with the buddha n surroundings.

Chiang Mai ok for 2 nites...i find it boring there imo

Make sure u go to koh phi phi..!

Make sure u dont miss all eating highlites! I go for this n the shopping.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

Six days in Bangkok wont be too long, especially as you are also doing day trips.

A lot of people will disagree with PlecoRising saying Chiang Mai is boring. !!

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

I thank all of you for your helpful advice and suggestions. I have decided to book 6 nights in Bangkok.

I am also thinking of spending a night or two at Koh Samet after visiting Bangkok - good idea?

Then on to Chiang Mai and Phuket before I leave for Malaysia.

Lots of planning to do!

Any suggestion as to which budget airline I should use to fly from Thailand to Malaysia? As well, from which city in Thailand should I fly to Malaysia? Kuala Lampur is the city I would be visiting after Phuket - so should I check for a flight from Phuket to KL?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

I will be using Air Asia in April for my inter-city flights - check them out. 2 of my friends have used them as well. they have many routes in asia.

6. Re: Need Help with My Itinerary Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:15