We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Hi guys,

I have a question, how can I get to Khao San Road from BKK airport?

I have read that there is an option to take a taxi or to take ride with ARL, get off in Phaya Thai and take a taxi.

Is there any other possibilities??

I will land in BKK around 7 PM this Friday. We will be 5 guys totally so, maybe is the easiest way to take a taxi. It should be around 400 - 500 baths, with taxa-meter on, right?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Peter.

J R
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Taxis are super cheap in Thailand. That distance should run about 400-450baht (450 in traffic, INCLUDING tolls if applicable). If you ask for airport pickup as we did, it shouldn't cost you more than 500baht (our final bargained price). I don't know if 5 guys will fit into one taxi though.

FYI, taxis start at 35baht (roughly a little over 1USD). Much better than tuk-tuk, which will rip you off.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,461 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Five is too many for a taxi. You will need two taxis, because most of the trunk is taken up with a big natural gas tank. So that's about 800 baht for two cars.

Here's the simplest way: Take the ARL train to Makkasan (35 baht per person). In front of Makkasan station catch the 556 bus, which goes right to Khao San Road (another 35 baht, I think).

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

5 guys with luggage will need 2 taxis or you will have to wait for one of the few larger type taxis.

Semarang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
50 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

@bill2p : if i arrive in Bangkok at 8pm, will i still find 556 Bus from Makkasan to Khao San ? thank you.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,461 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Yes. You may have to wait a little while for it though.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Wouldn't a better option than the bus for 5 guys no doubt with luggage to get the airport link to the end of the line (Phaya Thai - 45Bt I think) then get 2 taxi's to Khao San Road? I can't imagine the cost would be much more than 3x bus fare. Maybe 200Bt?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,461 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

#4 is a threadjacker and the 5 guys in the OP have long ago made their trip.

But just analyzing it on cost alone, 5 guys taking the ARL train and the 556 bus would pay a total of 70 baht each, so 350 baht in total. Lots of backpackers use this route.

ARL plus taxi at Phaya Thai would be 5 times 45 = 225 plus 200 baht for 2 taxis, so 425. (Advantage: the taxis will take you direct to your hotel. Disadvantage: obvious tourists seem to get taken advantage of quite often by taxi drivers.)

Taxis door to door would be 700 to 800 baht, and of course that would be the most convenient. Maybe you'd luck in and get a van-sized taxi. You're much less likely to run into a dodgy driver at the airport (in fact I never have, ever).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Bill

Just a point of clarification; the ARL to Makkasan is 35 baht, and the 556 fare is 13 baht, (all per person), so the fare from BKK to KSR is 48 baht.

Alan

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,461 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Alan, thanks for the correction. I thought all the 500-series buses cost 35 baht.

So of course that makes the ARL/bus combination the most economical by far. The 5 guys would pay a total of 240 baht to reach KSR.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From BKK Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road

Bill

The orange a/c buses cost between 11 and 23 baht, except the DMK A-series orange buses which are more expensive, (I wonder why?). There are blue and white 500 series a/c buses which cost a maximum of 19 baht, and the yellow 500 series a/c buses, some of which have a flat 12 baht fare, and some variable fare. It's all done to confuse us, which they succeed at!

Alan