We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok or Pattaya?

Doha
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bangkok or Pattaya?

Can someone help me figure out which is better in this itinerary? Embarking a backpacking trip from Thailand to Cambodia. I'm torn between going with Bangkok or Pattaya first?

Will spend 7 Days in Thailand and then head to Cambodia. I want to split my Thailand between Bangkok and Pattaya. 3 Days Bangkok, 3 Days Pattaya, 1 Day Crossing Border to Cambodia. I need to reach Aranyaprathet so I can cross Cambodia right?

I will land in Bangkok. Should I go direct to Pattaya when I land in Bangkok then come back to Bangkok then Aranyaprathet? Or should I stay in Bangkok first, go to Pattaya and head to Aranyaprathet?

Help!

oz
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Stay in BKK and catch a bus straight to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap .

Pattaya is a holiday place and not to everybody's taste .

Doha
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Particularly interested with the Coral Island in Pattaya, looks good and enticing? 7 Days will be too much in Bangkok for me. I guess I just want to travel many places and get a glimpse of thai culture.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Koh Larn is easy and cheap to reach from Pattaya, costs B 30 ( about US$ 1 ! ) for the normal ferry, or a round-trip to the beachesa for THB 150 ( about US$ 5 ) , so cheap day trip

This short video shows what there is to see and do in and around Pattaya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOdLY27cPQ

Koh Larn

www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JNis4yMEZaA

The ferry ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDoQC7aLsE

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Bangkok first ... then the beach.

Might want to pick a different beach area than Pattaya. Its not everyone's idea of a nice beach area.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Do both, hotels in Pattaya can be cheaper than Bangkok.

From Bangkok you can get to Pattaya for 124 baht by bus from Ekamai bus terminal. Ekamai is off of a Skytrain stop too. The beach at Pattaya is really not to good for swimming at but okay for sunbathing, shopping, nightlife, restaurants, malls, etc. (Local transportation Pattaya is only 10 baht for most rides using baht buses.)

In Bangkok a hotel convenient for using the Skytrain could come in handy. When you need hotel recommendations also mention where and what price range you want to pay.

Up to you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Yaj I have spent the last 16 weeks in Thailand and really enjoyed my stay. Spent 6 weeks in Pattaya and the remainder in Bangkok.

Two entirely different cities I prefer Bangkok, much more to do and see. For anyone wanting to visit both cities I would spend 2/3 time in Bangkok and 1/3 in Pattaya. So for you say 4 days Bangkok 2 days Pattaya. That way you can have your day trip to the excellent Koh Larn. Hotels, most restaurants and bars as a rule should be a little cheaper in Pattaya.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Rover... 16 weeks in Thailand? I'm green with envy! Lucky you.....

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

2-3 days in Bangkok rest in Pattaya. Problem solved. :)

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

Pattaya has some good eats and things to do. Beach and water are not recommended really. Depends what your looking for.

10. Re: Bangkok or Pattaya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 05:17