We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breastmilk storage in bkk

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
breastmilk storage in bkk

hi im intending to pump my milk when in bangkok for 5 days in april..i need to get a styrofoam box and dry ice to pack my milk at the end of the trip to check in the airport and bring back to singapore...any mummies done this b4 or have any other way to pack ur milk and bring home...pls advise

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

Not a lactating "mummie". But,..

Dairy Queen and Swensens have dry ice on hand to pack with items for take away.

Whether you can communicate your need, or if they will sell some, is another question.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

will the airline let you take it in the cabin? If not, can you guarantee the baggage handlers will treat it with care?

If you are just doing this to keep up your supply for the 5 days you're away I'd be inclined just to tip it out after you've expressed - I'm not sure I'd have wanted to take the risk of having it thaw and then giving it to my child (many years now since I used a pump - my first was 8 weeks prem and I spent 8 weeks pumping at home then taking it to the hospital for her)

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

Octobersix since u know that dairy queen and swensens sells them have u bought b4? If im paying for it it shouldn't be a problem right?

hw abt Styrofoam boxes?? Any idea in where to buy them?

Thmoree, will be checking it in and nt bringing it up the cabin. Also many moms do that nowdays so its quite safe. Must put a fragile sticker on the box and secure it tightly.

My supply is oredi very low so pumping and throwing is definitely out of the question for me

Edited: 23 March 2013, 02:11
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

I said that they have dry ice to pack with their take away treats. I don't know whether they wold sell the ice or not.

Styrofoam boxes can be found at Big Cs and Tesco-Lotuses, as well as other shopping venues. This is where you will often find DQs and Swensens too.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

Just got a message for GOPBI. He stopped by Swensens and was told that they could not sell the stuff because there was no means to log the sale. "By the Book" is the typical method of operation for most such businesses in Thailand.

Now, you might order a couple DQ moolattes, "ka baan", and ask for extra dry ice .....

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

What is DQ moolates?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

There is apparently a breastfeeding café in Sukhumvit soi 31 every Tuesday morning: parentvine.net/listings/breastfeeding-cafe/

I imagine if you dropped in, the consultants could advise you where to pick up what you require.

On that page is also a link to a Facebook page. If you posted there, someone may have the answers to your questions.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 18:07
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

can,t you just buy a carton of uht/longlife milk from a 7-11?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

"What is DQ moolates?"

It's Dairy Queen's "coffee" drink, mostly sugar and ice cream.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: breastmilk storage in bkk

A small note that Dry ice on board an aircraft is not allowed as it is considered Danger goods and needs paperwork to be boarded...Just an FYI