We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I reserve a room using friends card

new delhi
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can I reserve a room using friends card

Hi all,

Can I reserve a room using my friends card and then pay by cash on arrival. I was planning to stay at a 3 or 4 star in Bangkok in early June

Thanks a ton

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

wouldnt recommend to do so but you can search the room at some online websites;

i'm not sure if it still valid on www.booking.com or www.hoteltravel.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

Yes if the room booking is made under your name.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

You can but if you trash the rom or leave something out at check out - your friend will be the one that has to pay the bill as that is the credit card on file..

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

Yes , it not a problem, just ensure the hotel booking is made under your name and not your friends.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

In June you can get many rooms with a walk-in. Even if you are coming in on a flight arriving in the middle of the night you can book a hotel with a phone call from the airport. Just have a list of places to call and let your fingers do the walking!

Between now and June you may have your own credit card anyway.

I wouldn't even allow my brother to use my credit card! Lots of crap just seems to happen to good guys whether intended or not. If something comes up missing or damaged from your hotel room your friend gets the bill!

(Even cheaper NO star hotels have rooms with A/C, TV and private bathroom. Some you can book through their own emails or websites.)

Good luck.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 12:22
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

Why not? I use my wife's card all the time.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

"Why not? I use my wife's card all the time."

A wife is a lot different than a friend! A friend you can walk away from but a wife will find a way to get even if you do her wrong! And it won't be cheap!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

The card you use as guarantee while booking has nothing to do with the room deposit. When you provide a credit card number to a booking agency, it just ensures that if you don't show up, the hotel can take at least one night's payment if not the full amount. When you check in, you'll commonly be asked to present a credit card or leave a cash deposit even if you already used a credit card for booking. That's the room deposit, in case you damage or make off with something. 5000 baht is often the amount. When you check out, they return the cash or they give you back the signed credit card transaction slip which was never put through.

If your friend trusts you, there's no reason why you can't use his card with his permission.

Perth
Level Contributor
458 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

Even after paying for a room before arrival, I have been asked to show the credit card on check in. They take a swipe of the card and hold this against any charges that you put against the room.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I reserve a room using friends card

The card they ask for on arrival doesnt have to be the same credit card.