We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

"BANGKOK, 28 March 2013 (NNT) - The Airport of Thailand public company has announced that it will allow all airlines to use Don Muang international airport again.

"The company has revealed that airlines in the One World group, led by Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific airway, has expressed interest in using Don Muang airport. The airlines group also suggested that Don Muang airport be expanded to allow for giant Airbus A380 aircrafts to land and take off from there."

More: …prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail…

Singapore
Level Contributor
171 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

I can foresee people getting to the wrong airport to receive their visitors.

Only if there's a rail link to link up both the airports, think it'll remain a bit of hassle to transfer between both airports.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

Eventually, the ARL line will loop north from Phaya Thai to Don Muang. But rail lines don't get built overnight.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

I find the title misleading. CX has expressed interest in DMK, but where does it say that oneworld are shifting to an airport which cannot yet accommodate the A380?

All in all a bad move as there is codesharing even between other alliances and non-alliance carriers.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

More news and discussion on the local forum 2Bangkok.com is here:

2bangkok.com/forum/showthread.php…

Post #352 of that thread links to a news article in the Thai press (but, of course, can be put through a translator if desired). The perspectives that develop in the 2Bangkok forum are likely to be interesting.

When I last used Don Muang a few months ago, it was heartening to see its gradual comeback. Already, IMHO, F&B options had surpassed (in pleasantness and general value) those of BKK-Swampy - even if they are unlikely to return to their former even better situation when Don Muang was the only show in town (with brewpub, etc.).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,523 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

"Alliance rejects Don Mueang

Old airport unsuitable for premium travellers ...... Oneworld’s full-member airlines are not interested in switching to Don Mueang airport."

- see bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/344007/all…

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

Wonderful news! I can't see how OW could share an airport with LCCs!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

Hi

To be fair to DMK, on the operational side, it really do have all the essentials that a large scale ramp up and expansion of long-haul international service would need.

They've got hangar space- both the airport-controlled as well as Thai Techincals' hangar, so for your basic RON needs, and as well as scheduled maintainence needs from to A to heavy, can be done on premesis.

There's onsite fueling from two sources, catering from two agents and full Immigration and Customs handling. There's a LOT of cargo handling capacity onsite .. And at present there's no operational curfews..

So, really the biggest hurdle for DMK will be mostly on the passenger-facing side of the equation (and that would extend to connectivity and ground transport issues) and not so much with the below-wing and operational support sides of the equation.

Travel Safe,

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

DM can equally support it. Never understood why they didnt operate both for international. The new airport was over capacity when it opened. :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

Hi,

To me if they want to go down that road, now is the perfect time to do so..

One of the two terminals is wholly unused, so they could do any/all renovations on both land and air-side areas without possibly interrupting a carriers live operations..

I personally have always thought DMK would be a very good fit for a regional air cargo hub as the runways at DMK can handle heavies, have no curfews which can be obstacles for all-cargo carriers and there's plenty of handling space and customs clearance.

Given that Thai now has their own in-house cargo arm using several converted passenger 744's converted to 74Fs, combined with several of the larger international express carriers like FedEx and DHL all planning expansions in Thailand or the region, i think this is a natural fit and DMK would play nicely into that picture.

If they wanted to attract an alliance, then to me, I'd play the MUOR or Move Under One Roof card, and leverage the appeal of being able to offer an alliance their own dedicated use terminal - and in doing so would present several sizable cost-savings opportunities for each alliance member as cost for their ground handling at DMK could be pooled with all other alliance membrs and be bid out under one collective purchasing contract.

But this does require the airport to dump significant funds into the expansion and refurbishment of most parts of the passenger-facing infrastructure as its either insufficient, non-existent or out-dated in its current form.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 07 April 2013, 20:55
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OneWorld to shift to Don Muang DMK

The problem to me is, codeshare carriers would then need to fly out of both airports. E.g. PG codeshares with both OW and *A carriers, and they currently only fly out of BKK