We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Bangkok - have one day

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
First timer to Bangkok - have one day

TA's,

We arrive into Bangkok in 2 weeks on Friday night & have a prearranged car to collect us & one nights accommodation near MK / Siam. We have the saturday to shop at MK which I believe opens at 10am & then the markets at Siam Square. My friend also then wanted to go to the floating markets & I'd like to see a buddah / temple or the like.

Can anyone recommend if this is possible in one day if we don't dilly dally at MK - we have to leave in a taxi to the airport at 5pm from the MK shopping area that afternoon for a 7pm flight.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers, Coco.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

If you mean the Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets, which are the most well know ones then you will need to leave early as they are about 1 1/2 hours west of Bangkok and finish around noon, so this should be your first activity. You really won't be able to fit any shopping in if you go to Damnoen and might be better off staying in and around Bangkok City and giving the floating market a miss, so head to Grand Palace and Wat Pho first thing then back to MBK for a spot of shopping. If you have a 7pm flight from either airport, you will need to leave plenty of time as this will be full on rush hour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

As Cassnu says,, If you want to see the Grand Palace and Wat Pho you need to do 1st thing early morning.

Its very easy to do the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun by yourself.

BTS to Saphan Taksin station. Go down under the bridge to Central Pier and take the Chao Phraya express boat coming from your left, and get off at Ta Chang pier. (pier N9)

Do not buy a ticket at the desk, and do not buy a 150 baht ticket for the tourist boat. Get on the Chao Phraya Express Boat coming from your left. Take a boat with no flag, an orange flag, or a green flag. You pay the fare on board to the ticket seller, tell her "Tha Chang" (pier N9).

Get off at Tha Chang (pier N9), and walk out from the pier area until you see a high white wall. Follow it to the left and then around to the right, so that Sanam Luang (a large open green space) is on your left and the palace wall is on your right. Walk about 200 meters until you get to the main entrance.

Wat Pho is right behind the Grand Palace, so you will need to go back out the way you came in, and go around the block to enter Wat Pho.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

.... and if anyone outside the Palace tells you it's not open or anything similar, smile politely and keep walking - it's just one of the scams of Bangkok.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

If I read correctly you said you have a taxi for 5 P.M to BKK for a 7 p.m Departure. This is way to late IMHO..You should be heading out to the airport at 3:30 - 4 p.m at the latest. You should be at check in a 5 p.m and trying to get through customs right after so you can be at the gate with no panic.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

If you are staying in Siam/MBK area and main interest is shopping, there will be no time for anything else between 10 am when the shops open until your departure. If you are a passionate shopper of course.

MBK has several floors, Siam Square on the other sideof the steet has small boutiques for teenages, Siam Center cross to MBK has nice shops for adults with all branch names, Siam Paragon next to it has several floors with all kind of things from cars to department store, Centure Plaza next to it has hundreds of shops of all kinds.....going through all these can take sevaral days!

But if you wish to include a small piece of culture, you can visit Jim Thompson House very close to MBK (walking distance, ask your hotel reception for details) that is his old home with museum and oalso a shop and cafe, everything in a beautiful setting!

Edited: 05 April 2013, 01:18
Papakura, Auckland...
Level Contributor
172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

Hi, I too only had one day in Bangkok last year, I arrived in the evening as well, next morning I did a temple tour which was from 8am to midday, then went to MBK for 3 hours only as I had to be back at the hotel to taxi to airport, my flight left at 7pm as well.

3 hours shopping was not enough time for me, as the MBK is huge, so I was rushed to find everything I wanted to buy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

Guys, thanks for all your tips its been extremely helpful in figuring the best way to see everything.

We've decided to get up early to go & visit something like the reclining Buddah from 8am - 10am & then hit MBK & SIam spending about 5 hours shopping. Do we think this will work well?

Mary-Jane I noticed you said that you took a 7pm flight & someone previously above said I would need to leave at 3:30pm for a 7pm which seems a little excessive for a domestic flight to Phuket as you only need to be there 1 hour before the flight no? I was intending to leave MBK area at 5pm for the 7pm flight (We have a car booked so assume they'll confirm the best time to pick us up)?

Papakura, Auckland...
Level Contributor
172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

Hi Coco,

I didn't realise you were flying to Phuket from Bangkok.

So I'm sure that will make a difference.

My flight was BKK to NZ, so international, I got a taxi at 4pm from my hotel, got to airport around 4.30pm which was ample time for International flight.

Your ticket should say what time to be there for domestic - I haven't flown domestic within Thailand so I don't know about that.

Have a great time shopping! - I will be back in August, this time I have allowed almost 3 days for shopping - not 3 hours!!

9. Re: First timer to Bangkok - have one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:15