We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour or on our own

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Day tour or on our own

Hi everyone,

I want to do sightseeing which includes Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Pho in a day. Would it be better to book a day tour or do it on our own ? Can anything else be included in it ? Will the city tours have more places which could be covered in a day ? Please let us know your views.

Any tour operator that you could recommend ?

-

Regards

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour or on our own

Found a thread : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k633…

Any other recommendations specially with respect to the above mentioned sites.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour or on our own

Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Pho can be done easily by yourself.

See Post 7 in the tread you found.

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour or on our own

It can be done on your own but to get the most from your visit I would recommend a private tour guide. They can give you all the history on the sites you are seeing and with their help in getting around you can pack more into your day. We used Tours with Tong and prior to our visit emailed a list of places we would like to visit and asked if a ride on the river on a long boat could be included. We were advised what could or could not be included in a full day. We were very satisfied with the experience and will be using Tours with Tong this year when we return to Thailand in June.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour or on our own

Thanks DodgerIrishinLondon and edinburgh.

That helps. :)

Karachi
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour or on our own

The best thing is to do is to rent a car with the driver and go about the city yourself it would not only give you the opportunity to spend as much time at a place as possible but would also allow you skip places in case you change your mind later on. But it is best that you formulate a scheduled plan before you set your feet out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour or on our own

Bangkok traffic can be a nightmare so I would not agree with 'rent a car with the driver and go about the city ' as in Post 5.

Use river and BTS skytrain to get around.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour or on our own

Thanks Ammad... ya, that can be an alternative.

I think it would be better to book tour/ car when we arrive in Bangkok than booking it in advance online. What say ?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour or on our own

Hi,

Visit the Grand Palace alone and by using public transport. Here is a map showing the BTS, MRT and Riverboats:

bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

No need to book a car etc.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour or on our own

Thanks AjarnAndy.

The map was helpful. Not only for this day but for other days of my stay there :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour or on our own

If you really want to hear also the history and stories about the sights, book a guide in advance. With hin/her you can discuss about the travellind options:depending on your hotel location, personal wishes and costs.

All those temples are located very close to each other so they are basicly easy to visit also by yourself but youl'll risk for skams etc and got only the wiews without the stories, which really are the point with these temples!