We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postage or courier back to Australia

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Postage or courier back to Australia

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are travelling from Phuket to Bangkok in early December and are wondering how to best go about getting stuff sent back to Australia?? We are travelling throughout Asia after leaving Bangkok and prior to that I will be training in Phuket for 4 weeks so I'd like I get my gear (gloves,clothing etc) sent back to Australia to avoid lugging it around. Has anybody got any experience with this?? I'm guessing all together it would probably be around 5-10 kgs. If anybody could give me some info on how to best go about this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

You can take your things to the post office and they will pack them for you for a small rate about 100 baht.. I normally post my shopping back by SAL which takes from two to four weeks.. Cost for about 10 kilos will be about 2300 baht approx... They also have an airmail rate but is usually twice the price and not that much quicker.....

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

Hi i have sent items many times and the post service is very good. The SAL is quite quick. Also you can send post by sea, yes it takesa long time, it is cheaper.Also note customs in australia do open items ,so forget sending in item you are not allowed to.

melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

Only last week I posted a 12 kilo large box from Bangkok to Melbourne via DHL Couriers and it took 3 days to get home. The courier provided the box.

The cost was 2,880bht. I didn't go to the post office so Im not sure what the same price would be via thai post.

This price was on par with prices I have paid in other countries to get stuff home.

The courier did want to see what was being posted and made sure there was no 'fake' items (which wasn't a problem). The paperwork was quick an easy.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

Thanks for everyone's replies! I think we may go with the DHL option. Just wondering makeup lady how did u go about actually organising the courier???

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

Hi,

DHL can deliver to you special "value" boxes, for free, which your use for packing. They're specially marked and sized boxes- so be sure that your items don't exceed the boxes listed maximum weight. You can be under the maximum weight, but not over.

These boxes tend to be the better value as they're designed by DHL ( both UPS and FedEx have the same program) to maximize their space in the cargo aircraft, and therefore are priced at a discount to what you'd normally pay for a shipment of equal weight, but not in that special box.

In Bangkok, most of the express carriers have a cut-off time around 1600 to make that days outbound aircraft, but smaller offices may be earlier.

If you are going to be near a DHL office (they even have small offices in a few BTS stations) you can get the boxes there, or call them to arrange delivery to your hotel or residence.

Remember that all shipments, be that by public post or private express carrier are subject to and will be examined by the Royal Thai Customs before being allowed to depart.

For the cargo carriers like DHL, that process is done at their airport station just before it's loaded into the large containers that are then loaded into the aircraft itself.

Travel Safe.

6. Re: Postage or courier back to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:16