We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

Hi all,

I have a few questions about travellers cheques and where to cash them.

1) What fees are generally charged for cashing travellers cheques

2) Are all the major currency cheques accepted (i.e. US Dollars, Euros and Pounds)

3) I have been to http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net and was just wondering what do I select for the Travellers Cheque rate? Notes or Cheque? So in other words is the rate for normal cheques the same as travellers cheques?

4) Where is the best place to cash travellers cheques? Is there a good place at the airport? or am i better off trying elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Mik

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,596 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

TCs carry a flat 33 baht fee, per check, to cash them. Always use large denominations.

Most exchange kiosks will accept TCs.

At most exchanges, the rate will be a slight bit better than currency.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi

1. The fee is 33baht per cheque so bring in big denomination to minimize the fee

2.yes

3. Traveller cheques exchange rate are slightly better than note

4. Best place to change Bank. In Thailand money changer are mainly bank own. Some of them just the booth some are inside the bank itself and some are attached to the main bank's building.

How easy it depends on which area you're staying or going to be. If out in off the beaten track them the bank but in touristy area there are bank booth every where. You will need passport for prof of identity.

Note : only bring in American Express traveller cheques as banks WILL NOT ACCEPT Thomas cook traveller cheques.

Cheers,

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,985 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

1. The fee is 33 baht per cheque.

2. All major currencies.

3. Cheques

4. With the exception of the Kasikorn Bank branch on the ARL level, exchange rates are lower at the airport than downtown. And independent forex dealers like Super Rich offer even better rates. Please read our FAQ: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

Thanks everyone for the great information! It looks like I will exchange one cheque when I arrive at the airport and the rest at the best possible place elsewhere. According to the link that was provided above the answer si to use Kasikorn Bank at the airport.

England, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi, we have for our 7 visits to Thailand always used them, however we were warned our last time - Feb, by Marks and Spencer travel desk that its getting more difficult to change them now, this was true , our hotel wouldnt and we had to visit 3 banks before we were sucessful!

We will think twice about using them again for our next visit

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

M&S made their own arrangements for TCs and have subsequently given notice that they will no longer be issuing them and after a certain date will not be cashing their own through their bank. There should be no problem with American Express TCs at any Thai bank or bank based exchange booths or independent forex dealers.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,086 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

Must admit I haven't used travellers cheques for many years mainly because you always have to produce your passport to change them. As I seriously dislike having my passport in any vulnerable environment, this meant that I had to change the cheques as close to the hotel as possible so that I could nick back and put the passport in the safe.

It's a very bad idea to carry your passport when wandering around.

Have you looked at the possibility of having a debit card?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

Unless you have debit card that carried no fees, you will stil pay 150 baht per withdrawal compared with 33 baht per TC. If your bank does charge fees then debit cards are, except for ordinary credit cards, the most expensive way of changing cash in Thailand. Keeping your passport secure for a trip to the bank is I agree though very important.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers Cheques

Thanks again guys. I will be bringing American Express Travellers cheques so hopefully there won't be a problem. I was thinking of TCs because of the freedom with cash and the security. I do have a debit card but as said before it costs THB 150 per withdrawal plus I know my bank will most probably sting me with an exchange fee and withdrawal fee. The other option is a travel wallet but again these are only available in USD, GBP and Euros so each time I draw I get charged an exchange fee. Also getting TCs and exchanging them in Thailand I think will give me the best exchange rate.

England, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi, the bank that we eventually found to change ours in Bangkok had a little green man on the outside, cant remember the name sorry.