We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

we bought an engagement ring at a sale yesterday for a very good price and to resize it down by 1-2 sizes will cause more than the ring itself. (its silver and CZ). Rang a few shops and the pricing are about the same. Since we are going to BKK in June, i would like to do the resizing there. Is there any shops that can do it on the spot? even though it's not thousands of dollars, it still mean a lot to me so I would insist on getting a same day job. Any such shops around and what will the estimate pricing be? i know some people in this forum mention gold jewellery shops in chinatown but do they do silver rings? thanks in advance.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

Go to Silom Galleria in the Jewelry Trade Center on Silom Road near BTS station Surasak. This is a big mall full of gem dealers, art and antique shops. On the second floor, there are at least two stands that do gold and silver work such as hand made settings for gems. The work is not exactly cheap and it's far from speedy, but it's high quality. I don't remember their names - you'll have to look around. One of them is in the central area near the escalators.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

Just as you walk into Silom Galleria (keep to your left) is a shop selling silver, doing repairs etc.

Beware: silver may discolor slightly, depending on the amount to be made smaller the stone may come loose as the setting may get slightly bent open in the process. It is not just a matter of taking a bit of metal out.

The downside in BKK is that there are almost no gokd/silversmiths. Jewelry is factory made with cast settings.

Therefore, not many places do a neat repair job.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

Hi Nomadic,

thanks for the tip, does the shop mentioned in the Silom Galleria does repairs on the spot as well? i'll ask the shop beforehand if the stone settings will be changed.

I'm surprise to hear there's not many gold/silversmiths in BKK, there's plenty of jeweler shops, do you mean they just sell and do not have the skills sets or machinery?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

loveducks

Make sure that the ring you have is not rhodium plated, or this will affect the price, finish, etc.. If it is sterling silver and it does not tarnish, (as all silver will when oxidisation takes place), the the chances are that it has been rhodium plated.

If you want to make the ring to fit more snugly on your finger, just get some waxed dental floss and wrap it around the back of the shank, and the problem is solved very cheaply. Also as your fingers might get bigger with age, or in different climates, you can just take the dental floss off.

Alan

Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

At Bang Rak road, there are many buildings to do your job, it is very easy to do it in Bangkok.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

Hi Alan,

i just bought the ring so i'm not sure if its going to tarnish or not.

don't quite get the idea of putting dental floss, you mean on the inside of the ring? i guess i'll still prefer to have it resize if it's not going to cost more than the ring itself.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

hi Mike B

Where is Bang Rak road near? do you mean many shopshouses (or buildings??) that does ring resizing? do you know roughly the cost? any shop you have been to for such work? thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

loveducks, yes, they only sell and they do not make. It is factory jewlry. Very few actually employ a goldsmith, or have contact to one. Plus dealing with gold is different to working with silver.

I once had a stone replaced in a silver necklace, total disaster. The shop actually paid me 200 $ to get it redone overseas.

Best is to visit a few places and see what they have to say.

I think Alan talks about Charoen Krung Rd. when he says Bangrak Rd. There are lots if Afghani, Pakistani silver shops. Will they resize, and in the spot?

Edited: 29 April 2013, 19:40
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

loveducks

If you just bought the ring is there any chance that the retailer can get you the same style but in your size?

Rhodium is a very white, shiny metal with a high polish, so you should be able to tell. Otherwise, again, ask the retailer.

You wind the dental floss around the ring on the opposite side to the CZ, and then tie it off. This will then stop the ring falling off while you try to get it resized.

Also be aware that the CZ will have to be removed before any work can be carried out on it, and this may weaken the claws or bezel, (depending on its setting), when trying to replace the stones.

No matter where you get it done, the cost of the resizing will probably be more than the cost of the original ring, which is why I suggested the dental floss solution.

Good luck

Alan

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend a jeweler that does ring resize on the spot?

To save a few bucks you want to do this while on travel? Personally, I would not do that.

In any case, photograph the ring in high detail (with a close-up lens and a good camera, not just a phone) at several angles. Show that to the shop owner - that you know the dimensions and profile of the ring. This may reduce chances of the shop slimming down the ring as well as reducing the circumference - or even doing something with the setting. (Such stuff has happened in Bangkok, and elsewhere.)

Personally, I would do this at home. It should not be an expensive service, the cost savings would be slight if any, and you should probably not want to be time-constrained (or constrained in your ability to go back to the shop if, for example, the cut and resplicing went wrong later).