We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay...

Hey all,

Can anybody suggest which area or any hotels to stay at in Bangkok? Going in October and just getting confused with which area to stay in? Wanting to do shopping and visit markets mainly but also visit historical attractions. Any help would be greatful.

Cheers

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay...

For Shopping Siam area is the best, for nightlife Sukhumvit is the best, for most of the cultural attractions, Riverside, Banglamphu or Rattanakoskin is best. If you stay in either Sukhumvit or Siam it's easy to grab a taxi (make sure they use their meter) and get over to the main sights and vice versa. Sukhumvit and Siam are also the places to stay if you want to use the BTS, MRT and ARL (public transport options).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay...

Hi,

Our family have stayed at Bandara Suites, Silom. We had a two bedroom apartment with fantastic breakfast each morning in their restaurant. It was a short walk to the BTS & a 10 - 15min walk to the night markets. Small shopping mall with grocery shop only one block away if needing to stock up on supplies. For us, it suited our family perfectly & would stay here again.

Regards,

Karen

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,319 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay...

Hi,

Whatever, it's a good idea to stay near the the Skytrain (BTS) and/or the Underground/Subway (MRT). If your plan is to visit the Grand Palace and the nearby Wats do note that you can travel there by Riverboat which departs from near the Saphan Taksin Skytrain station:

bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay...

We stayed at the Adelphi suites in Sukhumvit and would definitely stay there again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay...

Stay as close to Sukhumvit as you can and as close to a sky train as you can.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay...

Close to the river for me, and in particular as close to Pier 13 as possible.

Jump on a public ferry, and you'll be at Central in no time, and a couple of minutes walk to Saphan Taksin BTS. So you're at Siam and all the shops in no time

The Grand Palace is at Pier 9, and Chinatown at Pier 5.

And the Khao San area is only a few minutes walk from Pier 13.

No-brainer really, I love being close to the river, and an excellent mid-range choice is...

http://www.newsiam.net/ns/newsiam4.php

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area to stay...

Dagwoodsmate, I can see why you like the river trip but if this OP is going for shopping mostly with some sightseeing I think he/she may find the trip up & down the river with the connection to sky train tedious - especially with shopping. I stayed at millennium Hilton last time and even though it was right across the river from the sky train stop with free shuttle boat I found it tiresome with shopping. Don't get me wrong - I loved getting the boat back & forth but lugging my many many many shopping bags a bit annoying

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What area to stay...

Tabetha - it's horses for courses.

I think the BTS is just a necessary evil, If the carriages ain't like sardine cans they're still full of clones glued to that little contraption in their hands.

I only need to visit Siam/Sukhumvit once in a trip to realise why I like the river, and the Banglamphu area so much.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area to stay...

Riverside Sathorn or Silom Area's best for Bangkok and the OP.

OP does say if you read the post visiting historical attractions which if I am not mistaken are by the river. If you can find a hotel near Sathorn Taksin BTS even better. Riverside transport is great and will get you up the river to the temples, monuments, Chinatown and Khao Sans Rd. Also take a free shuttle boat and take in the impressive Asiatique by the river. If you're hotel is near Taksin Bridge the BTS will get you to Siam Sq and all the shopping malls in 10-15 minutes.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area to stay...

If you stay in Siam area, you have walking distance to markets such as Pratunam market area and street side shopping on Ratchadamri (Central World area) and Siam Square (opposite Siam Center). With BTS you have easy to reach Chatuchat the weekend market and after that's closing the Railway market next to it.

You are also close to Chinatown, Thieves market and other small un-named markets on that area. It is easy to take a bus there from Siam (next to MBK) in the morning but recommend a short taxi ride for the return when and if you have lost yourself in that area (bus will take ages in the afternoon trafic). After you have got enough of hot markets, it could be noce to enjoy the aircondition of MBK shopping until 21.00 hrs.

From Siam area you can reach the main sights also easily, combine BTS and Express boat for Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun. You can also do the temples in the morning and continue shopping in the afternoon but in that case, note the clothing! From these temples you are close to Banglamphu market and China town.

Happy hunting!