We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skirt Length for Wats

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Skirt Length for Wats

Hello All,

I'm trying to decide how many full length dresses I should invest in for my upcoming trip. We will be in Bangkok for 2 days.

One day we are visiting Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace which I understand are rather strict about clothing, so I will wear a full length dress that day to be safe.

The other day we are visiting Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Will these also require a full length dress? My alternative is one that hits just above the knee. By American standards it's not at all revealing but I don't know if that will hold true in these Wats.

Thank you!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

To visit temples in Thailand your knees and shoulders must be covered. This is particularly necessary for the Grand Palace but should be followed out of respect for all temples.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace is one of the very few sites with a strict dress code.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

I would again wear the full length dress or alternatively full length pants.

Cover knees and shoulders is the main thing.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

Buy a sarong. It's multi-purpose. It can be used as a skirt as needed or as a shoulder cover. It is foldable and can fit into most bags. If required it can serve as a bedspread, ground spread or blanket.

No need to have multiple dresses.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

A maxi dress with a pashmina to cover your arms would be ideal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

knees and shoulders should be covered when entering the temples. some temples like wat prakaew, since you have to go pass the grand palace, closed shoes (no tongs) will also be required. they will lend you sarong if they think you need one.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 06:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

Click on the Blue Board listing dress code rules.

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand/Cent…

PS. When our Aussie friends mention 'No Tongs' they are talking about Flip Flops :-))

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

To avoid all the hassle of what to wear when travelling in south east asia, I always pack lightweight trousers and t-shirts with modest necklines and a bit of a sleeve. Not only are outfits like this suitable for anywhere and everywhere but they are comfortable (more comfortable than long skirts flapping about your legs in the heat) but also help to prevent sunburn.

I usually toss a couple of pretty tops for if I feel like dressing up a bit in the evenings. Most importantly you need comfortable footwear and although I don't like the look of them, the good old tevas take me anywhere and I can walk miles in them without getting tired feet.

9. Re: Skirt Length for Wats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:18