We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delicious street food

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk - midlandss
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Delicious street food

Hi all, I'll be heading out to bangkok for the first time in a few days, staying at the Loog Choob Homestay, Bangkok - some advice on where to eat authentic spicy Thai food in the area would be amazing... be it street food or authentic Thai frequented places. If any one has recommendations... Thanks so much in advance!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
876 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delicious street food

vans998,

I love the Tom yum goong at T&K Seafood in Chinatown. Here are two articles from blogger Mark Wiens that might help you navigate the BKK food scene. Keep in mind, Thai, spicy, hot, can be hotter than what most foreigners are use too. Have a great time!

migrationology.com/2011/…

migrationology.com/2010/…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delicious street food

Get hold of a little book called "Bangkok's Top 50 Street Food Stalls"

www.travelfish.org/feature/211

amazon.com/Bangkoks-Top-Street-Food-Stalls/d…

that should give you some ideas

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delicious street food

You are in Thailand, all street food will be authentic thai foid.

Rule of thumb is to eat where you see alot of thais eating. This usually mean tasty safe food.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delicious street food

A word of caution on the standard of hygiene -- there is none in Thailand, and what locals can take is not necessarily what you can take.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,160 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delicious street food

Try the street food at Soi 38, Th Sukhumvit beside the Thong Lo BTS station (exit 4). Try the Pad Thai from the award winning Pad Thai stall. The good pad thai stall is at the start of the sub-soi to the right as soon as you enter soi 38 from Sukhumvit road. Very good BBQ pork and wanton noodle stall (try the wheat noodles ) hiding behind the pad Thai vendor. Also mango and coconut sticky rice stall facing the Pad Thai stall.

uk - midlandss
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delicious street food

Thanks so much this is really helpful!! I adore spicy food so the 'heat' won't be an issue I just wanted good authentic 'non touristy' flavours! :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delicious street food

You might think you know spicy, but believe me until you've tried the real thing in Bangkok, anything you may have tried in the UK up until now will have no resemblance to real Thai food - good luck and enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,160 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delicious street food

" I adore spicy food so the 'heat' won't be an issue " thats brave talk :-)))

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,752 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delicious street food

First of all, please don't take this wrong, but it would have been nice if you had given us the address or general location of Loog Choob Homestay so we wouldn't have to spend time figuring it out before trying to help you. It's not exactly a well-known popular hotel... :-D

You're going to be in a very un-touristed traditional area of Bangkok in the Dusit district and there is guaranteed to be a lot of street food around. It's nonsense to go all the way across the city, like to Sukhumvit Soi 38. Food carts usually concentrate around the entrances to sois (side lanes) or transportation hubs. It looks to me like there would be a lot of carts in the evenings around the junction of Luk Lang 7 and 8 in your neighbourhood: http://goo.gl/maps/iqG13 Also, I can see there are some simple shop-house eateries in that network of back sois which you should try.

On nearby Phitsanulok Road, a major thoroughfare, there is a daytime food cart concentration at the bus stop across from the commercial college. http://goo.gl/maps/VXtcm As you can see, that will be full of teenaged girls in uniform in the afternoons, scarfing down various delectable treats -- a great way to try out sweets and desserts Thai-syle, plus noodles and hot pots.

Around the United Nations building there must be a food cart nexus at lunch hour to feed all the office workers. Walk around and find it. (Stay away from Government House, though.)

At the nearest pier, Thewet, there is an eatery run by a former cook at a gourmet restaurant called "In Love." http://goo.gl/maps/2bkz7 tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1… Plus there are lots of food carts around there for sure.

If you pick a place where the food is being freshly prepared and lots of locals are eating, there are simply no hygiene issues to worry about. Do wash your own hands or use an anti-bacterial wipe before eating. I think a lot of tourists contaminate themselves and then blame it on the eatery. And you will notice that Thais wipe the cutlery before using it.

uk - midlandss
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delicious street food

Thank you all again, and my apologies go to bill2p, I wasn't aware how 'unfamiliar' my accommodation was to the general forum 'public', given it's ranking here on TA, and can assure I didn't want anyone to go out of their way to help, I was just curious to know some more information regarding food in city I know little about! Your suggestions are most helpful and I'm sure we'll have lots of fun sampling some of them, a wonderful tip re. the former cook at Thewet! Thank you! BTW i always use anti-bacterial gel at home in the U.K in public, so will most certainly have a bottle in my bag! :)