We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality of Rice

hong kong
Level Contributor
270 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Quality of Rice

Thailand is renowned for its rice export . But rice served in most eateries and food courts is way far from standard than what I can buy at home. Anyone knows why?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quality of Rice

Any Riceologists out there?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quality of Rice

Probably because they buy the cheap stuff from Tesco's.

Alan

London, England
Level Contributor
381 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quality of Rice

I imagine that the best Thai rice goes for export: I buy really good "Thai Hom Mali fragrant jasmine rice" in economical 10kg bags in the UK and it is excellent. However, if I was running a restaurant in Thailand I would be trying to maximise profits and that means buying rice that is "fit for purpose" but no more, so Alan is quite right. In high-end restaurants, top quality rice may well be used but, overall, business is business and it is the bottom line that counts.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quality of Rice

Many stall vendors will buy "seconds" rice, from independent rice peddlers.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quality of Rice

Economics.

The exporters can make more money selling the Grade A rice overseas. Also as mentioned, the local businesses are watching the bottom line.

Actually the region that seves good quality rice is down south.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quality of Rice

Just the same as the best fruit, meat and dairy here in New Zealand. The only time you see the really good fruit is if you work in a packhouse/orchard.

7. Re: Quality of Rice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:16