We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Help! I had a tenitive booking on the Manohra Song for O5 Oct - 07 Oct and now they tell me it is booked. I've already booked hotels and airlines that can't be changed. Does anyone know of another luxury rice barge that might be available?

Thanks,

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Hi Mcoflygirl,

Loy Nava is a good alternative.

http://www.loynava.com/

Good luck,

macintosh (Robert)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

How is the food on the dinner cruises? Would love to travel the river but not for the sake of mediocre food.

And between the 2 companies listed here, is one a better experience than the other?

england leeds
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

hi been on the loy nava boat,what a complete rip off very disappointed it was the most expensive meal we have in bangkok.

Got the bill they added a 10 percent service charge, then a 7 percent drinks charge.When going passed the Grand Palace we nearly missed it , didnt look that spectcular in the dark.

Also was meant to be a 2 hour trip but we didnt get that as they were late in picking us up from our hotel.

We saw another cruise boat which passed ours looked much better and livelier but cant remember the name of it

Bye the way you are suppose to get a complimentary drink we enquired about the drink said coffee was the complimentary drink,

which other people thought was a rip off ,2 brandys cost £11 with a 7 percent service charge on top.

Look at other cruise boats before booking this one.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

hi firestar, wish your dinner cruise with Loy Nava had been better. So for travelingurl (and Mcoflygirl), two other options are the seasonal dinner cruises offered by the Oriental and Shangri-La hotels. Their respective prices are higher than Loy Nava, but you might find it worthwhile. (The Oriental uses a particularly fine boat.) Additional information can be found on the hotels' websites.

Regarding quality of cuisine on these cruises: while it might not quite match the Oriental's China House restaurant, ;) i have always thought it just fine. (well, i am very easy to please on these sorts of outings ... and have usually consumed a few drinks with friends and colleagues..)

Robert

down by the river/

(Neil Young)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

You might try the Chaophraya Dinner Cruise. It leaves from the Riverside Center. Very nice cruise with live entertainment. http://www.chaophrayacruise.com/

BKK
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Another choice is a teakwood rice barge named "Montienthip" of Montien Riverside hotel where is located a little bit opposite to the Marriott Riverside. Try to visit www.montien.com.

Hope this help !

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Hi, Thanks for all the replies but I forgot to mention that we anted to do a 2 or 3 day trip. Any suggestions now? What about the Mekhala? or the Naga?

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Hi Mcoflygirl - which cruise did you end up taking?

I am looking at the Manohra Song cruise too - has anyone else taken the overnight cruise on this boat? Is it worth it or am I better off taking a day cruise and/or dinner cruise and staying at a hotel at night?

Thanks...

England
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

Hi all,

I'm looking to book an evening river cruise as well. Does anyone know whether i need to prebook these or can you just jump on and pay then? I'll be going in July if that helps at all...

Della x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,680 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Rice Barge Cruise Booked!

I certainly wouldn't just turn up and expect to get on. They need advance notice to order in the ingredients for dinner, as it's all fresh. Depending when you arrive and how long you are going to stay, i'd either book before you go (book on-line and you'll probably get a discount) or enquire about availability as soon after arriving.

We stayed at the Bangkok Marriott and went on the Manohra Star dinner cruise booked at and leaving from the hotel pier. You can book independently though and get on at the Taksin Public Pier (next to SkyTrain terminal), the Oriental pier or the Peninsula pier.

We enjoyed an excellent 5 course dinner and a 3 hour round trip cruise.

See bangkok.com/dinner-&-shows-tours/manorah.html

for details.