We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advise needed

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advise needed

We will be going to Bangkok on 8th June to 12th June in a group of 14 adults, 1 elderly (75 yrs old) and 3 children (two 3 yrs old and one 10 yrs old).

We plan to hire a van on the 1st day and last day only. Will it be cheaper if take a taxi or hire a van?

Itinerary:

1) Ancient City

2) Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market

3) Chatuchak

4) Madame Tussauds & Siam Ocean World

5) Chinatown

6) Pratunam

7) MBK

8) Big C

9) buy golf accesories - which shopping centre that is near to Sathorn or Pratunam?

Day 1 (Sat) - hire a van

- Hire a van and go direct to the Ancient City, after clearing the custom which would be around 10am. Journey to Ancient City takes about 45 mins, so we will reach there around 11am and leave about 4 pm to Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market.

- Is it advisable to reach:

1) Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market at around 5pm? (Estimated 1 hr journey from Ancient City to this floating market - correct me if I'm wrong)

2) What can we see and do at the floating market during this hour, can we still take the ferry ride?

3) How long it takes to explore the whole floating market?

- After the floating market, will go back to our apartment to check in

Day 2 (Sun) - by BTS or taxi

1) Chatuchak weekend market

2) Madame Tussauds & Siam Ocean World

3) Chinatown

Day 3 (Mon) - by BTS or taxi

1) Pratunam

2) MBK

3) Big C

4) buy golf accesories - which shopping centre that is near to Sathorn or Pratunam?

Day 4 (Tues) - hire a van or taxi

Check out and go to airport directly in the moring.

Do you think that our itinerary is too tight or anyone can help me to rearrange my itinerary?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 20 May 2013, 15:04
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advise needed

You do not say in which area is your accommodation. That makes it hard to comment on your transportation choices.

Are you sure you will fit into a single van especially on the first day when you have also all your baggage with you? I think the official maximum capacity of a van is 12 people. The vans operating on fixed routes in Bangkok would be able to squeeze in 15 adults and any number of lap children using folding extra benches, but this is very cramped and not safe, either. In such vans there is no luggage compartment.

All the reports on the Internet claim that the floating market closes at 2pm at which point the vendors apparently pack up and leave. What do you expect to do arriving at 5pm? You should do an Internet search and see what the bloggers tell about their visits there. The place apparently is large and needs 2 - 4 hours to cover. You will be in any case rushing through Ancient City, so it could make sense to go first to the market and have lunch there. Ancient City is open until 5pm so you should be able to spend at least 3 hours there. Personally I would skip the floating market, since even so the day will be very long for the kids and the oldster. Depending on where you stay, you could do Madame Tussaud's on the first day, since they take people in until 8pm, but you would be pushing yourselves hard.

Such a large group will need 4-5 taxis. Flagging them down will take time and the first ones won't be able to wait, so every taxi needs someone who knows where you are going and where you are going to meet up, since you will arrive at different times. I think doing this repeatedly will be something of a nightmare and eat into your sightseeing time. In that sense renting a van might be better, although probably more expensive. However, the traffic congestion makes BTS and the Chao Phraya Express boats a better option.

I believe all in your group will have to pay for a ticket except for the two youngest children, but actually they charge based on a height limit.

If you are going do any significant shopping in Chatuchak and Chinatown, I believe you won't have enough time for both Tussaud's and Ocean World on the same day. Chinatown you can reach by taking BTS to Saphan Taksin and then the express boat to Rajchawongse (N5) pier.

Hard to comment on Day 3 without knowing where you are starting from. Big C is a bit baffling, since it is nothing special. However, if you visit it first, you could get an idea of 'normal' prices so that you can assess if the deals offered in the Pratunam Market or MBK are good or not, There is one Big C near Pratunam across the road from Central World Mall. You can walk from there to Pratunam, although you could also send the oldster and the kids in a single taxi.

One place for golf accessories is Thaniya Plaza near Sala Daeng BTS station thaniyaplaza.com/mainThaniya/shoping_guide.p… . It has a large number of golf shops, but they are not particularly cheap. You can find golf equipment in all department stores and malls.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary advise needed

Thank you so much for your detail advice. We will be staying at The Empire Place at Sathorn. I think we will need two vans to take in all of us but it is very expensive, about 8,000 to 9,000 bahts (for 2 vans) till 6 pm, extra time will be charged at 300 bahts per hour.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary advise needed

If you stay in Sathorn, BTS stations should be easily reachable, so using BTS will not be too difficult.

4000 - 4500+ per day for a single van is rather expensive. You should look at some other service provider. An Internet search for "car rental with driver bangkok" provides at least one candidate which would charge some 3500 baht for a 10-hour day. They might consider Samut Prakan not to be inside Bangkok, but it is so close that the fuel costs will not be excessive even if they come out of your own pocket.

bangkok
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary advise needed

wow! that's some intense itenary!

From personaly experience and living in Bangkok for some years, i would say forget about time schedules. They just dont work here. Traffic and delays and accidents and the heat will slow you down.

Thailand is an adventure though, and you will be kept on your toes throughout.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary advise needed

Thank you. I will try to search for other service provider.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary advise needed

Too much to do and not enough time to do it.

I think with such a large party you will be lucky to fit it all in. I think you need to be more flexible and prioritize the thing you would like to do most.

If your constantly watching the clock and something goes wrong (and it will be no ones fault) but it will go wrong your whole day will be stuffed.

Doing anything in Bangkok should be like running a marathon, Slow and Steady I think what you have set up for yourself is a sprint, and the heat will take out the oldest and youngest of the party first, and i fear that will spoil it for you all.

It seams the only thing that you have missed of this trip is time to relax and have fun.

My advise rethink your whole itinerary and save some stuff to do for next time your there.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 14:05
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary advise needed

I find it too rushing too especially with such a big group and it will tend to slow down the speed too. Ancient City was initially not in our itinerary but by chance, I clicked onto this website and find it so interesting, so decided to add this as our itinerary. Floating market to me is not so interesting but my sister-in-law wants to go and another one wants to see the Siam Ocean World. What do you think if my itinerary is as follows:-

Day 1 - Ancient City and golf shop, then back to Apartment to check in

Day 2 - Chatuchak, Siam Ocean World & Chinatown (at night)

Day 3 - Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market, Pratunam, MBK and Big C (optional)

Day 4 - fly back to Singapore

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary advise needed

A much more reasonable plan. Thaniya Plaza will be open also in the evening, so you will not be in a huge rush.

Siam Ocean World won't open until 10am and many stalls in Chatuchak won't be open before 10am.

On Day 3 I would still recommend going first to Big C, since the main point would be getting an idea on the normal prices that Thais are paying for middling quality goods - Big C has fixed prices and all the goods have price tags. Otherwise Big C is not a very interesting shopping destination.

Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary advise needed

Rather than try to micro-manage so many people spanning a wide range of ages and interests, how about letting those who are keen on, say, floating markets go on their own while others (likely to have varied interests as well) do their own thing with proviso everyone meets for breakfast and dinner? Fear your joined at the hip zoom here and there strategy is doomed before it starts.

Sorry for any auto correct errors!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary advise needed

Thank you. Since we go out in a group, most likely we will travel together but when we reach the destination, we will split up so that everybody can have the freedom of looking at their own things.

BTW, how far is it from :

1) Airport to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market

2) Sathorn to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market

As I see that Damnoen Saduak Floating Market has more things to see than Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market. If not too far away and time permits, I think I will choose Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 08:31