We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing a street in Bangkok

california
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing a street in Bangkok

Hi,

I would like some advice how to safe cross street in Bangkok . Thank you.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,303 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Hi,

Wherever possible we cross (a busy road) by using a footbridge or going beneath it. This is also possible to do at Skytrain and Subway stations in Bangkok.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Cross when you see a gap or when others do and use them as shields. :)

Edited: 20 May 2013, 19:17
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

VERY carefully!

Best bet watch where Thais are crossing and go with them!

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Use the walkway over passes if around when useing the crosswalk look once look twice and keep your eyes open always. The motor cycles are the worst followed by all other types of moving traffic.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
167 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

I always make sure I catch the attention of the vehicles so that they see me and know my intention to give me a wide berth and cross the road with some haste.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Concur with all the previous advice.

Do remember that even when car traffic has stopped, motorbikes will be pushing forward between the lanes. If you are not very careful you can be mowed over. Likewise when getting out of a taxi - make very sure a motorbike is not trying to overtake between the curb and the taxi when you are opening the door.

Many intersections permit a left turn even on a red light, so watch that first step when you start crossing 'safely' after the red light has stopped the traffic. Don't expect red lights to be respected very well - there will be some vehicles that push through the intersection even though they should have stopped. Especially motorcycles also tend to start moving when the intersecting road has a red light but their own light has not turned green, yet.

Pay attention to the countdown timers that many big intersections have. If your green light is going to be on only five more seconds, you are not going to make it across that 50 meter wide street unless you are a world-class sprinter. Tailgating the local pedestrians is what I still do when in doubt.

The traffic light cycle in big intersections can be several minutes, so in addition to it being safer, it can be faster to walk that extra bit to reach a footbridge or an underpass.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Hi, Agree with the_goodsoil_family on his comments. We also faced few incidents with motorbikes when they almost hit us while opening the taxi doors so this is a good point to keep in mind. Also, we used the overhead foot bridges whenever possible to cross as that was very very safe.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Always bear in mind that any traffic signals and signs in Bangkok are treated as optional and not obligatory. So if a sign says one way traffic, always look both ways!!

Alan

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

If you must cross a street with traffic, wait for the space in front of you to clear and then start across at a measured pace. DO NOT RUN. Cars will drive around you, but they need to be able to predict where you're going to be. This applies not just to Thailand but also to other countries in the region, like Cambodia and Vietnam - perhaps even more so because the Thais are pretty good about providing pedestrian bridges and walkways.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing a street in Bangkok

Crossing the road in Hanoi is one of my favourite memories of Vietnam, just step out and go, don't even look from side to side and all the motorbikes just whiz around you! In Bangkok I take a foot bridge or cross where the traffic is jammed (a lot!) but watch for bikes filtering of course.