We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

england
Level Contributor
45 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

Two of us will be staying at a sukhumvit hotel, and will most likely have 2 small suitcases and 1 (mostly empty for souvenirs) bigger suitcase in total. We will be arriving around 6am on a fri, so would hit rush hour? Would it make more sense (bearing money in mind too) to take the ARL to phaya then skytain to nana or take a taxi from the airport?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,257 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

Hi,

My preference is always to take the ARL + Skytrain/Underground into town. My advice is to wait and see how you feel after a long journey. If you feel up to it use public transportation otherwise take a taxi.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

I always take a taxi after the long flight. Not very expensive and no lugging luggage...

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

A taxi for me as well. After a long flight I can't be bothered pulling luggage on stations and pushing through throngs of people. For $10 it is not worth the hassle.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

My answer is also taxi or limo and nothing else.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

I like using the Airport Rail Link with a switch at Phaya Thai for the Skytrain. Cheaper than a taxi but you do carry your own bags. If you are in a crappy cheap hotel use the train. In a better hotel show up in a taxi! Same price for one passenger or for 4 in a taxi.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

I have started using the Train and skytrain from the Airport to Nana and return.

Sure as already stated if you arrive at BKK and think I want the easiest way take a cab.If I come on a late flight that arrives at 1 am I take a cab , because I am tied and the train is not running

Why I now take the Train is not based on money or time I read an article in the Bangkok post asking people to use the service. It is better for the environment as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

I prefer to use a taxi after the long flight from the UK..

Edited: 29 May 2013, 08:40
england
Level Contributor
45 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

Taxi it is then, just wanted to make sure any. potential morning traffic wouldn't make the journey alot longer than usual. Thanks all!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

I'd only use the ARL/BTS if I knew exactly where I was going, it wasn't peak times, and my missus was in a good mood!

We used the ARL City Line this February to get to Ramkhamhaeng station. It wasn't peak time, but the train was still busy.

When we got to Ramkhamhaeng there was no escalator or lift working. There were 110 steps down to street level. My missus was in a good mood until then!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transfer- Train or Taxi?

If it's your first visit then take a taxi as you'll be taken directly to the hotel's front door. Sukhumvit can be a confusing area with many hotels. It's no fun wandering around side streets with luggage looking for your hotel after a long flight. Bangkok taxis are good value compared to other cities and some other areas of Thailand

If you know where you are going and your hotel is near a BTS stop then take the train.