We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hellfire pass

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hellfire pass

Hi Everyone

Ill be in Bangkok in July 2013 & want to take a family trip to helfire pass , not to sure if we should take a guided tour with a group or hire a driver for the day ?? - not to sure how much this will cost either . Can anyone please give me advice on this - fee free to share your tips / advise & experiences

thanks for your help

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hellfire pass

Hi Just try out the below link. It might help you out. But what my suggestion is to for a guided tour with a group. You will really enjoy and mix up with new peoples also.

http://www.hellfirepass.com/

Cheers

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hellfire pass

Hi

I would suggest to have your own guide and driver. I don't think the price per person with the group of by your own party will be much different. With your own party you can pretty much do you own pace.

We used the guide recommended here and she is on the TA listed. You can find her her under FAQ under tour guide on the fight hand side of Bangkok forum page. It was only 3 of us with Nook our guide and her driver. We went to railway market, floating market, the river Kwai bride, cemetery and museum. We were pick up for the hotle early 7 am we had nice cold water throughout the day with lunch and entrance fee included. We had the whole van by ourselves we were no rush at any stage. We payed 8,300baht. You can send her email and tell her want you want to do or include in your itinerary or ask for her suggestions.

Note the price will be vary as this is custom made tour.

Good luck

Edited: 04 June 2013, 05:15
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hellfire pass

It is easy do do by yourself if you want.

Bus to Kanchababuri, train from Kanchababuri over the old wooden viaduct to Nam Tok which is the end of the line.

From Nam Tok you get a waiting songthaew for the 20 minute ride to the Australian War Museum at Hellfire Pass.

You need a good few hours at the museum, especially if you want to walk parts of the line which is recommended.

The museum is free entry but please leave a donation. Make sure you take your passports for free use of the audio headsets.

A moving experience and one of the best museums in Thailand.

Happy and safe travels

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hellfire pass

We found hiring a driver to be the best way. Of course you can do it yourself, bus, train etc and it a much cheaper way. However, the guide will be able to fill you in with a lot more knowledge than a few brochures etc.

It you hire a driver you can do the tour at your pace. You don't need hours at Hellfire Pass museum, but you can walk as far as you want in the pass itself. We combined this with the River Kwai and it was indeed a memorable day.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hellfire pass

Totally agree with Nairobi. Many things in Thailand you can do it yourselves but if you have children ( as you said family so I assumed with children) I would go with tour guide. with your own guide and driver you dont have to deal with the heat or negoatiated or find you way, you will get to see more as well. But each to their own. In the end you have to weigh up which way is worth or work for you best.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hellfire pass

Kanchanaburi, the Commonwealth War Graves, Jeath Museum, Railway Museum, and Hellfire Pass must be one of the simplest and most satisfying trips to do under your own steam.

A day trip with a guide from Bangkok might be memorable, but you'll have to spend a long time on the road, miss a heck of a lot out, and if your children get bored then it'll be a very long day. And you'll have spent a small fortune for the privilege.

To do Kanchanaburi and the Kwai Valleys justice then you really need to allow 2 but preferably 3 days.

With a little planning it is a very very easy trip, and will cost a fraction of what a day trip will put you back.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hellfire pass

Yes agree with above if you have a privilege of at least month long holiday :)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hellfire pass

Why a month? Three days out of much less than a month should still leave plenty of time for visiting other places.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hellfire pass

Because you can still see and do plenty in the 11 hours it took us.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hellfire pass

You've already written that you don't need 2 hours at Hellfire. Well, a lot of people spend quite a bit longer there than that!

What's the breakdown of your 11 hours then, and I'll tell you what you missed?

Edited: 04 June 2013, 12:33