We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in thailand

england
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
first time in thailand

this is my first time in Thailand me and my wife a planning a 4week holiday 1week or2 in Bangkok then to pattaya for the beach for 2 week I want to book b&bs were is the best place to stay in Bangkok we are planning to go November time

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in thailand

Look at Riverside, Silom or Sukhumvit areas.

Try www.sawadee.com

Mentioned in this post
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,852 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in thailand

When are you planning the trip? it's important to know because of the weather but in any case I would add chiang Mai to the itinerary after Bangkok then travel down South to a beach resort, Pattaya doesn't have that a great beach or clear water so there are better options.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in thailand

Chrella, they say November.

I'm with Chrella on this, I would not pick Pattaya. Maybe look at Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta or Khao Lak instead.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,797 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in thailand

I would echo the sentiments above and do 1 week in Bangkok 1 week in Chiang Mai and 2 weeks Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Koh Chang or Hua Hin instead of Pattaya.

As to where to stay in Bangkok as mentioned above Riverside Silom Siam or Sukhumvit, the most important thing is to be close to a sky train (BTS) station or an underground (MRT) station for ease of getting around. Personally for a first time visitor I would stay on Sukhumvit (Plenty of restaurants bars etc and good transport links)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
The Siam
The Siam
736 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
MRT
MRT
2,221 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,852 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
england
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in thailand

thank you for all your replys

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in thailand

Like the above, Pattaya isn't the nicest beach in Thailand. It's crowded and dirty. More famous for it's nightlife. There are many options for paradise beaches. Try southern Thailand, such as Krabi or Phuket province. You can book cheap safe flights from Bangkok. Try www.airasia.com or www.nokair.com

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in thailand

If you don't want to go far for the beach, there are Koh Chang, Koh Kood, Kod Mak,, Koh Samet, or other places http://bit.ly/115S6U2 , but I think Hua Hin beach is fine , many nice places to visit like Santorini hua hin and Swiss Sheep Farm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first time in thailand

With regards to Bangkok, a lot of people seem to hang around Khaosan road. To honest with you though I get a bit fed up with it because you get tied down to using either the bus or taxis. I am not a big fan of buses in any country. Khaosan road seems to have the really low price rooms, I think that is one of the reasons people (especially backpackers) end up there. I prefer to live around the lumphini/ Silom area because you have the sky train and MRT which are really good.

If you look on Google maps you will see why I (and many other people) favour that particular area. If you are not in the slightest bit bothered about taxis then Khaosan road is ok.

My traveling style is to travel a certain distance and then explore. That is the reason I favoured using the sky train and MRT as opposed to flagging down taxis all the time. Most inner city taxi trips cost just under about 1.50 GBP (60-70B). The prices may have gone up a bit though in the last 5 years.

Pattaya is quite small and I only stayed there a few weeks. I just got a taxi from the station to the center of town and then hunted around a bit till I found somewhere. I cannot really help much with Pattaya. I cannot even remember the name of the place I stayed.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
MRT
MRT
2,221 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
england
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time in thailand

thanks for your rely

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time in thailand

Can use Pattaya as a base - Koh Larn is a short boat ride and has nice beaches. If want something further out then try Koh Samet.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya