We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hi I would like to which route would be more scenic and worth doing ?

I don't know If I can do both as it might be a bit tiring ?

Any suggestions highly appreciated

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

With those money....you can live like a king. Do bangkok pattaya 5 - 7 days, phuket phi phi 3 - 5 days. Chiang mai - 2 - 4 days, choose from ayutthaya, sukhotai, river kwai, hua hin, chiang rai, koh samui for the remaining days depending on what you like.

Beware of bad people who will try to scam your money !!

If you want to do both, take onvernight bus once each way, its faster.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 12:56
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Thanks but I am planning to go in August . Don't think can do phi phi or Phuket at that time right ?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hi

I think flashback have had some flash back lol. He just answered to other thread probably using past and copy :)

Mariam029 I think its depends on which train you are on. If night train is no matter as you wouldn't see much anyway.

Cheers,

Edited: 09 June 2013, 13:06
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

When you use a train at nighttime you don't see too much except for train stations. Just too dark. During day hours you may see more but often you see the backsides of factories, apartment complexes, dumps, etc. like most train rides anywhere. Of the two maybe the train to Chiang Mai. Because (my opinion) you have more to do at that final stop than Surat Thani.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Haha yes I was thinking the same cause flash pack did sound a little off track :)

Anyways thank you guys .

I would like to do both chiang mai and koh samui ( thus Surat Thani via train )

Can't do too much of train journey I think then most of the time ll be gone in recovering from the tiring journey :(

Just looking for a cheaper alternative to flights .

How about journey the bus/coach journey ?

Is it safe and as comfortable as the train ?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Maybe just one train rides for experience either to chaingmai or to Surat Thani. Have a look at Nok airs and air Asia both are cheap enough as cheap as the train rides or bus / coaches.

Both Nok airs and air Asia offers airs + land + ferry combo to koh samu.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hi Mariam,

By my own admission I am off track but if you are interested in a scenic train journey during the day why not consider travelling to Kanchanaburi ? There are also special weekend trains that do the run on a Saturday and Sunday.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hi ! I think u have made up my mind about the destination as I will be taking the night train . Thanks a lot. Now I am just trying to decide if I should take a train one way and then the coach on the way back as I do want to cut down costs ;)

But little hesitant bout bus journey in Thailand . Not sure how safe it will be

And from the looks of it the train might be a bit more expensive than the bus ( which ll become more expensive with all the snacking done in the train hehe ;))but it should be more comfortable and safer .

Now waiting for suggestion and inputs from the lovely trip advisors :)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

Hi Mariam,

A train may be a little more expensive. Anyway, why not take a night train to both destinations ?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Surat Thani or chiang mai ?

I also recommend the night trains. Yes more expensive then a bus but its also more comfortable. 2nd class gets you a comfortable lie flat sleeping berth. I find the noise and the rocking motion very condusive for sleeping. Added bonus is you also save on a nights accomodation.