We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM Cards for Text

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
SIM Cards for Text

Where can I find a SIM card priced to text internationally. My need is very limited for the 4 weeks we spend in Thailand, Our adult kids like us to be in touch with them frequently.

I have a dual sim quad band GSM 2G /3G entry level Samsung Galaxy Y smartphone

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM Cards for Text

How about using Skype on your phone and hook up to the numerous wifi spots throughout Bangkok? If I remember correctly texts are around 2p on Skype.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,015 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Lots of cheap internet shops in Thailand that you can use too. Maybe a baht a minute to send an real email to them. Some internet shops even cheaper. Many hotels have free wifi too.

I can use my laptop to send short email messages to family back home that they can even receive on their cell phones. But only short messages like using text when I address the email to their cell phones.

Your kids have computers and email addresses - don't they? If so make a point of sending them an big email every day to bring them up to date.

More than one way to skin a cat!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Maybe the True Move Intersim would work for you? Cheap calls and SMS for 5 baht each.

…truecorp.co.th/international_services/…598

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM Cards for Text

I used a True sim.

The cost was only B1.5 to call TO.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Also if you use Whatsapp in a WiFi zone you can text worldwide for free.

Regards

Jim

United States
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM Cards for Text

This should answer your questions: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k622…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Thanks for the numerous suggestions. Our kids are very very busy adults,one is in different parts of the world, the other a lawyer with 2 toddlers. With the 10 and 12 hour time zone differences wifi based solutions like Skype are reserved for weekends. Emails for them require to stop what they are doing and switch to another email address. During the day we are outdoors in Chiang Mai and that is is when they are at home.

That's when we want them to reach us if they need to...texting. Frankly we find it cryptic and funny but we are the ones tuning in to a different generation's social navigating.

We travel with a Blackberry Playbook that meets all our needs including Microsoft Office and Adobe documents

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Can buy a SIM card at the airport-I got AIS last year. It's all pay per use and it's easy to top up at a 711 which are virtually everywhere. Texts are very inexpensive and it only cost me the equivalent of $2 for an over 12 minute call back to Toronto from the airport as I was trying to burn the last of the minutes I bought days earlier before I flew home. Also convenient if you can find a reliable taxi driver or calling a hotel locally. Didn't miss my three year overpriced contract back home at all!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Agree with the above. I just called home to Toronto when I needed to. It's easier then txting and you can actually have a conversation.

The thing that bothers me is it's so cheap to call TO from BKK but the opposite is expensive!!!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SIM Cards for Text

Now your talking! Just one thing. If we call our kids from Thailand; quite inexpensively, what will Rogers or Bell charge our kids for our initiated voice and text ? It's got to be cost effective at both ends right? Our kids do not have land line phones, for the reasons mentioned previously.

I have an inexpensive Samsung Galaxy Y S6802, Android, smartphone with dual SIM quad band GSMwith 2G and 3G capabilities. Is there some way to check if it will work in Thailand? (like a website? as it is better to check or not take it at all)

Mentioned in this post