We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport things to do?

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Airport things to do?

Hi, due to our flight timetable, we;ll be stuck at Bangkok Airport for 6 hours. Is there anything to do near by, I mean, could we lock our suitcases somewhere and then go someplace nearby and then return in time?

Or is there something to do at the airport that will make the time go away?

Thanks

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,381 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport things to do?

Hi,

You can leave your luggage here:

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/134

However, six hours isn't really enough time to head to the city and back. I would wait it out at the airport, plenty of restaurants to eat at. I can think of far worse airports in which to wait 6 hours.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,446 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport things to do?

Is this 6 hours before your next flight or 6 hours before you have to check in again? Is it in between two international flights or is the incoming flight a domestic one not requiring you to pass through Immigration? If it's the latter and you have 6 whole hours to do something, then by all means do so. If there's less time, you'll have to decide if there's enough time. Also, time of day is important. During the day makes more sense than late at night.

You can leave your gear at Left Luggage and take the ARL train to Phaya Thai (27 minutes), then the BTS Skytrain to Siam (10 minutes). That puts you right in the middle of an incredible post-modern landscape of glittering malls and overhead walkways, while the traditional hard-scrabble life of Bangkok continues at street level.

Around 20 taxi minutes from the airport are two gigantic malls, Seacom Square and Central Plaza Bangna where everything modern Bangkok has to offer is compressed into thousands of square meters of retail space. There you can get massaged, eat dozens of different cuisines and shop, shop, shop.

If you're a bit more adventurous, around 20 taxi minutes away is the historic village of Bang Phli, which has two major temples. One features the reputedly longest reclining Buddha in Thailand. The other temple has an important Buddha image dating back to the Ayutthaya period, the Luang Pho To. The village has about a kilometer long wooden market along the canal side where you can sample local specialities and see how life was lived along the canal in the old days. Ask the taxi driver to take you to "Bang Plee Yai, Luang Poe Toe." Every Buddhist driver will know where that is. Try to get a green taxi, which is a local cooperative whose drivers know their way around the eastern 'burbs. You should pay about 120 baht plus 50 baht airport surcharge.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport things to do?

You are in transit I assume.

Big question is, are your bags checked yo final destination. If they are then you do not need yo collect them hence you will have no bags.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport things to do?

I'll be coming from Krabi (using Thai airlines) to bangkok, then after 6 hours (from arrival) flying somewhere else with a different airline, so I suppose I'll have to get my bags first, then checkin for the next flight and pass through the checks again, so it probably won't be 6 hours but more like 4-5 (still a lot).

And this is gonna be at 10pm.

thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'll go to the malls using bts after all or maybe just sleep the time through.

thanks

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport things to do?

You should be able to check-in your baggage all the way, when you're traveling on the same flight ticket.

Are you landing in BKK at 10pm or is the flight at 10pm? Most malls close at 10pm, just so you know.

6. Re: Airport things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:17