We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

1) Say you want to buy electronics, like a camera or a brand new laptop. Are prices cheaper than say Amazon and where would u go to buy it? (Obviously if it breaks down, u won't send it back for repair right?).

2) Is there anything else other than clothing and dvds and imitation stuff worth buying (that u would actually save a LOT of money? For example we bought real high quality pearl necklaces in China at 1/20th the price at home).

Thanks

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

So!........something like inexpensive Gems?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

Like a bespoke suit, cashmere cloth, incl. 2 shirts, tie for 49 € perhaps?

String of genuine cultured pearls for 99 THB? Cheaper than China even.

What gives you the idea Thailand sells top quality for bargain price? You get what you pay for.

Happy bargain hunting!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

No noting...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

We didn't find electronics or Cameras any cheaper than at home, we had a look at Nikons as theyre made there but there was no saving.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

I'm no expert, but it really depends what you're after. One mans junk is another mans treasure etc etc :) I picked up a wonderful timber old style Thai temple. About 30cm tall. Equivalent of about $12 Australian. Would be ten times that amount here. It's the purchase I treasure most from that trip. I would never purchase jewellery or electronics or anything of value from Thailand, although I did buy myself a sterling silver ring from the jade factory in chiang Mai. About $120 Aussie. That's about the extent I'll go. :) have a great trip!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,768 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

Like anywhere you do occasionaly find real bargains (I found a very cheap Nikon camera in a shop in Chiang Mai which I have now had for 4 years without any problems but it was cheap because the shop had a sale on),

Obviously local handicraft whilst not always cheap is unique to some particular places in Thailand, good quality silk can also be found certainly cheaper than I can buy it at home and some clothing (not bespoke tailored).

For me the great thing about shopping in Bangkok is not so much the cheap prices but the great diversity of products which usually means I end up buying mare than I had anticipated.

In short enjoy the shopping experience and the wide variety of goods on offer, if you find a great bargain then treat it as a bonus.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

yeah I know what u mean LondonChris_S , I usually buy very little from trips but when I went to Beijing I went on a shopping spree as the sheer variety of stuff (and the ridiculously low prices) affected me whether I wanted it or not, Bangkok is prob the same.

I think I'll pack very very few things in my bags before I go!

thanks for all the replies

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

I think we buy less each trip. It can be very tempting to buy heaps of stuff just because it is cheap but if you don't use it and it sits in the cupboard, it wasn't such a bargain!

My husband usually stocks up on polo shirts and they are generally OK quality for wearing to golf etc and most have last a good few years. We have found that copy t-shirts are fine for wearing over there but after a few washes they tend to lose their shape etc. Most of the ones I bought last trip are now pyjama tops (very soft and comfy).

You can get some decent cheap handbags and we also bought roller cases on wheels for a bargain. They were for teens for school camps etc and have lasted well, we knew they wouldn't be lifelong purchases and have been perfect for what they needed.

My teen daughter likes buying jewellery - the surf type stuff and buys bits and pieces for her friends. Electronics and more expensive stuff is not cheaper over there. You also have the issue that most will not have an international warranty so if something goes wrong you are screwed.

We do like to buy a few trinkets like a small elephant with trunk up, tablecloths or placemats or something very Thai but other than that, we don't go crazy.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
301 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

I think it depends where you come from and your needs. My son bought all the components to build a state of the art PC - all bought from a reputable genuine dealer at Pantip Plaza. He saves himself a lot of money. I bought an ipad which at the time was also a lot cheaper than what I could get it locally. Kids always by tshirts and they have been fine but it is best to buy bigger as they do tend to shrink. We buy loads of curry pastes, tempura batter, skin products...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying stuff, any real bargains other than clothing?

I found a good deal for two stylish Casio watches with international warranty at the Pantip Plaza. I didnt think twice to go in for it as the international warranty was offered. They weren't cheap, but a good bargain as I got a good discount since I was buying two. I found computer accessories at Pantip Plaza to be cheaper and I did purchase two memory chips, headphones and a cam for the computer.

I also bought a whole heap of different coloured handbags for work from there as they were very much cheaper and stylish than what is available in my country. Also some shoes for work and leisure as they were cheap too and got great bargains as I purchased two or more from the same place. Not much of clothing as I didn't really plan to do so but was very happy with the shoes and the hand bags together with my watches.

I also had in mind to buy Thai food stuff which I found in varieties at the Big C shopping mall and managed to buy a lot of stuff there as I look cooking.. I did get few household items at this place which I'm so happy about now.

As the other's have mentioned, it is your preference at the end of the day and I m sure you must be having a whole heap of ideas with the great comments others have posted on this thread.

Happy shopping in Bangkok!!