We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Which Floating market is best

Riverside...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok Which Floating market is best

My husband MUST see a floating market in Thailand.

Any suggestions on which one is truly the best to see?? Any opinions are appreciated.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

There is a link to Floating Market posts in the Top Questions about Bangkok on the right hand side of this page that may be helpful.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

I am assuming that your husband wants to see a floating market after seeing one on the TV, in books etc? In which case there is a very good chance it was Damnoen Saduak.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

Yep that's the one they show in all the pictures, brochures, travel shows, movies etc

10years and I have never been.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

It is also one of the few open 7 days. Most hotels can easily arrange a joined tour, or you can contact one of the guides, listed under the "Guides" FAQ at the upper right, for a more personal tour.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

Yep he saw it on TV. Several different shows. I think his main objective is to not only see it but try some authentic Thai market food. Thank you for the suggestions. I heard some markets aren't worth seeing so I wanted to be sure to take him to the right one. Do you think traveling by taco ourselves is fine? For certain things I'm not one for tours.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

I would recommend Damnoen Saduak. I would try and get there before early and travelling on your own or with a small group is an excellent idea.

Enjoy!

Jo

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

If i'm honest i wouldn't bother. Nothing authentic about it all. And it's not as cute and glitzy as portrayed on tv.

Firstly it's quite a distance to get to it, and once you do you'll see very few native Thai's there, but rather other tourists like yourself. Prices as a result are for tourist purposes only.

It's just fake these days. Used to authentic but no more i'm afraid.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

Been to many floating markets, more accurately known as "talad nam" to Thais. Most are truly "water markets". They are simply markets, set up waterside, usually at a temple where people gather. Most simply offer food and groceries. Few are the photogenic scenes that most tourists are wanting to experience. Once they dress them up, the tourists, Thais and foreigners, appear.

Damnoen Saduak is what most tourists are expecting, and on steroids! It has the cute boats, the cute clothes, and the cute hats. There are endless photo opportunities. It is, literally, the poster child of floating markets.

You said your husband wants to "SEE" a floating market. Damnoen Saduak is truly a sight.

Personally, never tried traveling by taco.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

Seconded, Damnoen Saduak is what you are expecting in a floating market.

If you want to watch Thai's doing 'authentic' shopping then go to a local wet market early morning (ours is done by 7am) or go to Tescos. Not many people sit around waiting for some food to float by them anymore.

Another option is a riverside market, we really like Wat Don Wai which has good some homemade snacks, excellent fruit, boiled ducks and a nice old lady selling some unusual orchids. http://goo.gl/maps/DOvNo

Riverside...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok Which Floating market is best

If not the floating market then where could we get an authentic market place feel? He wants to eat things we cannot find anywhere else