We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

HI I am not sure if I read right or whether this has been posted before, please forgive me if it has.

On the airport web page they said that the public taxi area would be moving to the arrivals floor. Does anyone know anything about this? and when it would be done? Sure makes sense though.

Also I was wondering if there were places in the airport - like arrivals area - that you could get loose change, with 1000 Baht in my pocket I sure don't want to have the taxi driver having no change.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

I don't know about the taxi stand moving, but to get small change just give a large bank note to the cabbie at the toll booth on the expressway. Oh, and don't forget to count your change!

Alan

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

Thanks Alan. I guess if and when it does happen (any move) it will be reported on here so I'll keep watch.

Much appreciated

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

You can ask one of the bank money changers to change the 1000 baht note.

When you change your currency to Thai baht ask them for some small bills.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

It would make sense to move the taxis to arrivals. This is where you want a taxi.

Saves going downstairs esp. when you have a trolley full of bags.

Lets wait and see.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

Thanks guys, I just came across the announcement on the weekend, but there wasn't an indication of when. Imagine these sorts of things won't happen overnight but sure makes sense to have the taxi rank at the arrivals floor!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

Only thing I could find on their current programme of works was the improvement of 'taxi ways' but this is the areas and bays that aircraft use not public taxis.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

I am going on Friday, I will have a look.

At the moment the AOT Limousines are on the arrivals floor, so perhaps they will have to move.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,757 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

One way to get small change for a taxi is to key in 9900 baht or 14,900 baht into an ATM if that's how you're getting your money. Also, as Alan said above, use a 1000 baht note to pay the expressway toll. The toll stations are obliged to change 1000 baht notes. In addition, if you buy a water or something from the convenience store, they'll crack a 1000 without blinking.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 13:08
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

Thanks for the information about change.

I think I might have become confused when I read this article about taxis. Have cut and pasted it from the airport web site. it sounds more like a shuttle thing It is as follows :

A taxi stand will be installed on the second floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport's passenger terminal

Heeding passenger concerns, a taxi stand will be installed on the second floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport's passenger terminal.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) general manager, said the decision was in response to problems during the September 1 test flights when many travellers had difficulty catching taxis from the public bus terminal.

The AOT's previous plan was to only allow taxi drop-offs at the passenger terminal. Pick-up service was conducted at the public bus terminal, 2.5 kilometres from the main terminal. A shuttle runs between the bus and passenger terminals.

AOT officials came to the realisation that this system would be inconvenient for passengers arriving with heavy luggage.

A stand will be established at the passenger terminal with at least 20 taxis available at all times. Somchai said officials would ensure that there are enough vehicles to serve passengers.

People will still be able to take a shuttle to the public bus terminal to catch a cab. Shuttles will be available every three to five minutes.

From the bus terminal, the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority will provide service along six routes between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Bangkok.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,757 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suvarnabhumi Taxi area moving?

This is obviously from an obsolete webpage from back in 2006 when Suvarnabhumi was opening. The original plan was to get everyone to take the free shuttle bus to the Airport Transportation Centre in order to get a taxi -- to bring the whole legal and illegal taxi and limo mess away from the passenger terminal. That didn't work, and they then put the taxis on Level 2 outside Arrivals. But that conflicted with buses and other vehicles, so the Public Taxi stands were moved to their present location on Level 1 opposite Doors 4 and 7.

There's a lot of old, zombie stuff on the web that never gets updated. http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/ is an example of an undead website.