We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

We are planning to take my mum & dad to Bangkok + Pattaya (5days 4nights package) with my sister. My parents are not so dependent on the wheelchair. But they need it after walking for too many hours. Our wheelchair around 7.5 kgs. We will let them alternate use the wheelchair. So, is it possible we bring it together?

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Bangkok, along with many other developing countries, is woefull for when it comes to building infrastrcutre for the disabled.

It can be done however, but there will be alot of limits as to what you can do.

Public transport in Bangkok, like the excellent BTS will be no no's as most stations don't have lifts, and most use stairs. Pavements, road crossings, etc have no provisions for wheel chairs (or strollers for that matter).

Others will have to confirm how bad (or good) it is at some of the tourist sites like the Grand Palace.

To be honest, i would think of other cities to visit, more developed nations, where laws are in place to serve the disabled. Pattaya will be even worst ... why would your parents want to visit that place anyways?

Edited: 26 June 2013, 06:19
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Hi,

Agree with the former.. It is, at best, acceptable.. At worst, it is wholly unpassable..

Rightly of wrongly, the idea and challenges of those with mobility issues are not given a huge amount of attention, nor resources...

Tha said, things are slowly getting better as most all new buildings and construction do come with some reasonable forms of mobility/assistive needs design already incorporated.. But for old(er) infrastructure (which is by far most of what the city is) its just not there and there's no real mandate that it be installed retro-actively.

The Grand Palace has *some* accommodations, but it is limited.

Travel Safe,

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Suprised the Grande Palace can't make any provisions .... that's quite dissapointing.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Cindy

I'm afraid the other posters are right, certainly regarding getting about in Bangkok. The pavements aren't very even and in some places can be quite dangerous, the BTS would be mostly inaccessible as would crossing some of the roads where the safest way is by using the overpasses.

Saying that, if your parents can get around for periods without the use of a wheelchair, it may be worth investigating your sightseeing by taxi as that would cut down on the walking your parents would have to do. As an example, a metered cab across the city from Khao San Road to Sukhumvit cost us 75 baht. Also, while places like Wat Po and Wat Arun are in quite vast areas, there isn't very much in the way of required climbing and there are a lot of places where your parents could sit and take a breather.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of Pattaya.

Ladym

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

If you are flying to Thailand, you need to ask the airline if they impose any charges on the wheelchair as checked baggage. Apparently Air Asia carries them for free.

It is quite possible that your wheelchair won't fit into the boot of a Thai taxi, because most of it is filled by the tank for the gas used as fuel. In that case you must take it into the passenger compartment. However, if you are four persons fitting all of you into a single taxi might be tough in any case.

Pattaya is quite similar to Bangkok regarding accessibility. The good news is that the footpaths in attractions like Mini Siam, Nong Nooch gardens or Silverlake wineyards are quite decent and not cluttered with vendors' stalls etc. like most sidewalks of the city streets. As a result you can actually make good use of the wheelchair in those.

It also sounds like your parents are mobile enough to climb on and off the baht buses which are the most available form of transportation in Pattaya. At the rate of 10 baht per person on the fixed routes you should be able to afford to use them even for short distances. There will also be more space for the wheelchair than in a taxi.

Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Thanks for all the posts.

Visited Bankok & Pattaya 5d4n last month. Agreed that the pavement is quite narrow. But i still saw some wheelchair user in the street.

But almost the famous tourist places are wheelchair friendly. Luckily we went with travel agent, so we no need to rush for the bus,taxi & MRT.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

A previous thread on this subject may help:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k…

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

"Visited Bankok & Pattaya 5d4n last month. Agreed that the pavement is quite narrow. But i still saw some wheelchair user in the street."

Being out in the road is not unusual. Many of the pushcarts have to transit on the road. When I am dragging a wheelie bag or want to pass a bunch of stalled tourists gawking at something street vendors are looking at I pop out into the road for a bit too.

You just do what you have to do!

YYC
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

Agree with the above posts. Unfortunately, in many areas of Bangkok, eg Sukhumvit, where new sidewalks are put in, street vendors and sidewalk food stalls are allowed to take over these sidewalks, forcing wheelchairs onto the streets.

10. Re: Is Bangkok Wheelchair Friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 07:17