We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

Hello Everyone, I'm planning a trip to Bangkok and Phujket on 09 Jul to 15 Jul. Is that a good season or raining mostly ? Please advice so that I can bookings accordingly.

-Niks

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

Don't fall for the trap, and self motivated people over on the Phuket forum that says it's good to go to Phuket in July. It's an absolutely horrendous time to go. Expect rain ever day, dark clouds, strong waves. Look at the climate statisitics to see how much it rains. Horrible conditions for a beach holiday.

Yet, even with large parts of Phuket experiencing floods, you had so called experts on the Phuket forum saying it's no big deal!

Bangkok won't be too bad, and if it does rain, it's pretty much a large metropolis city with so much to do indoors, that it doesn't become so much of an issue as it does in Phuket.

My advice, is you have your heart set on going to Phuket, is wait till the last possible moment to book, so you can have an up to date weather report for the days you will be there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

It is the monsoon season so you should expect rain but there's people go every year in July so if it was continual rain they wouldn't return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,317 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

I'm afraid its the rainy season in Phuket. All the West Coast (Andaman Sea) is in its rainy season in July.

You would he better looking Koh Samui, Koh Toa and Koh Phanghan on the East Coast.

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

It is the monsoon season so you should expect rain but there's people go every year in July so if it was continual rain they wouldn't return.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People go, but i would bet you alot are niave tourists who are not aware of the weather conditions. And others, are from nearby islands so it's not a huge issue if the weather is dissapointing.

My sister travelled all the way from the UK, massive flights with a stopover took at least 16 hours to get to Phuket, and it was raining every day, unswimmable beaches, and a general damp squib for them.

Reading the Phuket forum, you get the same complaint around these times, with tourists completely unaware the weather could be that bad.

Phuket is lovely when not in the Monsoon season however, i love it !

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

At the moment some beach areas on Phuket are closed and this time of year through the monsoon season beaches can be red flagged so you cannot swim in the sea anyway, so better option is to head to Koh Samui / Phangan / Tao area if you want tropial island style vacation time

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

Lol, sorry Claire but you are so wrong, obviously you have never stayed in Phuket for the month of July, yes it may rain, but every day all day hahaha, well whatever you say, us so called self motivated people on the Phuket Forum who go there every year would never go there if it was as bad as you seem to think it is!!!!

The only thing I would agree on is some beaches are unsafe for swimming, so take notice of the red flags etc etc. Oh and by the way do not go by the weather reports, they are never accurate:)

Cathy

Goldcoast Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

There's no way a little rain would stop us from going to Phuket, if it does rain it doesn't last long, we love the place, yes the beaches can be unsafe for swimming, we go because we love the people and to just get away from everyday life, the food is great, going out to the islands, so dont worry about what the weather might do because who really knows anyway, just book for more then 10 days because you will need the time to do everything that phuket has to offer

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

It's raining still in Bangkok but often in the evening and not everyday, Phuket is already monsoon season but I don't think it's going to rain everyday in July, so check the weather if you're planning to take boat to nearby Phuket island.

Good Luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

The only "naive tourist" here is the very first reply to this thread...it's people like you that give "tourists" a bad name. Travelling is all about getting out of the comfort zone and experiencing new things, but you wouldn't know that sat in your hotel room all week waiting for the "rain" to stop!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok and Phuket in July ??

Hey Dyna, it was not even the 1st reply who sat in her room, it was her sister

"My sister travelled all the way from the UK, massive flights with a stopover took at least 16 hours to get to Phuket, and it was raining every day, unswimmable beaches, and a general damp squib for them. "

I get the feeling the person has not travelled to Phuket in low season at all by her comments.

As the other said yes you can get rain, and yes we would all love no rain, but it is tropical, so you can get it. But as Cathy said, "Every Day, all Day hahaha" Not likely

Obviously I am also one of the "self motivated people " on the Phuket Forum, because I go in October every year and its suppose to be the wettest month, and I get seriously tired of making reply like this because someone with NO real experience, voices their opinion so strongly.

And I have just returned, and yes we had rain, and yes there was some flooding in the streets , which lasted an hour, but it still did not rain all day every day.

To the original OP, believe what you will, the choice is yours

Michelle