We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

Tell taxi driver, you want the fare to be via the meter. Tuk Tuk is more of a novelty and a minimum 3x of taxis fare (meter rate). Should you want to avoid feeling been ripped off then it is best to avoid taxis that insist on flat rate ; avoid tuk tuk.

Basically, taxis driver wants a flat fare and TUK TUK cab (3 wheeler) is excessively overpriced. We paid 150 BHT for a short tuk tuk ride from our hotel to a restaurant ; probably less than 20kms. Decided to take a taxis back to hotel, thought we bargained well when we brought the price down from 200 BHT to 100 BHT. Next day, we took a taxis to chatchuka market ; a much longer journey (25 mins ride) ; this time the fare is by the meter and we were pleasantly 'shocked' that the fare came up to 50 BHT only !!! On the way back, the traffic was so bad that it took a much longer time ; probably 50 mins and yet the fare was around 50BHT. We decided to 'compensate' the driver.

It seems that the taxis fare is by the distance. not time based ( I may be wrong here though).

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,308 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

The first kilometre costs 35 baht. The fare up to 12 km is 5 baht per km. From 12-20 km it's 5.50, 20-40 it's 6, 40-60 it's 6.50 baht per km etc. Standing time (less than 6 km/hr) costs 1.50 baht per minute. So 50 baht for a 50 minute trip is not possible.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

Do you always haggle over taxi fares in Singapore???

Meter is usually cheaper for tourists in Bangkok.

Hundreds of old posts and the FAQ's tell you to use the meter in Bangkok taxis!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

The reason why it took 50 mins was due to the traffic jam.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

It's meter in Singapore but in my growing up years, it was very similar to Bangkok. Anyway, it is relatively affordable. Am posting so that others will be more prepared.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

My advice on tuk tuks would be go in one once for the experience then leave them alone completely unless you realy have no other choice.

To be honest I feel safer on a motorbike taxi than in a tuk tuk

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,308 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

I repeat: 50 baht for a 50 minute trip is not possible. Standing time alone costs 1.50 baht per minute.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

This advice has been given many times.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

Personally I can't see the point in travelling in a tuk tuk apart from the obvious novelty of the first time. You can't see anything much more than the road and about half way up the vehicles next to you, so there really isn't any point. The hassle with tuk tuk scams is also a pain and not worth bothering with.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

**This advice has been given many times.**

+1

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Advise re TUK TUK and taxis rides in Bangkok

I try to keep my blood pressure down by never taking neither as they're more hassle than their worth.