We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Hi! So I will be heading to Bangkok on my own in a few weeks time for around 30 days, with a (female, although one of the guys) friend meeting me there after two weeks of being there, and can't seem to put my finger on where to stay.

So far the only detailed recommendations I've been given are Silom and Sukhumvit - I looked in to Sukhumvit and received very mixed responses.

We want something with a good amount of nightlife, and easy accessible food(preferably walking distance) I think the best way to explain what we're looking for would be to say that we want all the perks of being in Sukhumvit, without being in such a tourist filled place(I know this sounds quite fussy haha).

As I'm going for such a long time, the price range for the hotel needs to ideally be no more than 1000 baht a night(anything between £500 - £600 for a month would be ideal) and I did see some ok looking hotels in Sukhumvit around this price range, but any suggestions in or out of the area would also be appreciated

We're both 20 and recently single, so we do like to go out and enjoy ourselves, just not to the extent where we'll be getting wasted every single night, and don't particularly want to be surrounded by other tourists.

Apologies if I'm being really picky, just want it to be a holiday to remember!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Khao Sans Rd area at 20 yo you will love it. Lots of Thai as well as tourist go. Went up the Khao Sans Sat evening many times this winter to watch English premiership football and reckon there were 60% locals in the bars. Much cheaper, great atmosphere on an evening and better value for money.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Agree with KSR. That should meet your budget and requirements.

Also since you will be for 30days during low season, don't be shy to ask for discounts on the rate.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

"We want something with a good amount of nightlife, and easy accessible food(preferably walking distance) I think the best way to explain what we're looking for would be to say that we want all the perks of being in Sukhumvit, without being in such a tourist filled place(I know this sounds quite fussy haha). "

+++

Nothing like the real thing!! Off season you will have half the tourists you have in December.

But since you are 20 years old Khao San Road will be okay.

*Why don't you visit Chiang Mai or Hua Hin for the 2 weeks you are alone? (Or one week in both!) Chiang Mai is very popular with women.

Have fun.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Hey there

Hope you don't mind my asking but why are u staying in Bangkok for 30 days?

Thailand is soooo rich with various landscapes and settings. You got the beautiful beaches of Phuket (like a dream) and you got the mountains and country up in Chiang Mai and you have the monkey-ridden town of Lopburi.

Things might get redundant after the first couple weeks, so I would recommend considering travelling to other parts of Thailand via train. Its a lot more relaxed outside of Bangkok.

The people in Thailand are so nice. They might be the nicest group of people I've met amongst my travels around the world. I would recommend getting out and discovering them if you can, outside of the time when your friends join you for those two weeks

*thumbs up

Edited: 12 July 2013, 05:14
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Infidelal, pls let me know why is Chiang Mai very popular with women? any particular reason? just curious....

Edited: 12 July 2013, 05:43
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

"al, pls let me know why is Chiang Mai very popular with women? any particular reason? just curious...."

Fewer bars - no beaches - more flowers! Easy to get to by train. Culture - national parks - elephants - trekking - tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

more flowers LOL

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Thanks ...more flowers..nice!!! in fact I was thinking of visiting the flower market next month Dodger!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Treshi, dont blame me LOL I was laughing at Infidelal's answer above mine.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok For 30 Days - Where to stay?

Dodger, it was a nice suggestion by both you and Infidelal. I m actually thinking of Visiting the flower market as I ll be in BKK next month. Need to get more details on it..