We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Any problems with border, customs & passport?

I got my passport when I was 16 years old and I had really long hair. I've never been denied entry, but It has been 8 years now, and I don't look 100% the same, and my hair is a lot shorter now. I've been looked at funny when crossing the border into European nations, back into the US, and through Canada, but haven't had an experience where I couldn't explain that it is a really old picture, because everybody has spoken English. I'm not sure if this might be a problem while coming into Bangkok, Cambodia, or Vietnam. I'm not sure how many of them speak English fluently. Has anyone had a problem with this? I'm leaving in 4 days.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Has your passport got the electronic chip in the centre? This is a stiff page in the middle of your passport and it says on it "DO NOT STAMP" If your passport has this page then a photo of you is stored digitally that can be used with face reading technology so it should be ok.

However if it doesn't and the boarder immigration staff don't speak English the they will get someone who does that you can explain to.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

There is always the WIG option...hahahaaha

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Everyone looks different near the expiry date of the passport, i've had different hair colour, short, long and never been questioned so I wouldn't worry.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Have another piece of photo ID available just in case.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Everyone has this problem when their passport nears expiry. You will be fine.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

My missus used to issue British Passports.

With renewals, the number of people who'd submit exactly the same photo to the one in their about to expire passport was unbelievable. They got rejected!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

Thank you so much everyone! No panic attacks haha!

8. Re: Any problems with border, customs & passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:17