We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Thailand

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Thailand

Hi, I know this is the Bangkok forum but as its several destinations I was unsure where to post. Starting to plan my first trip to Thailand in Febuary and wanted some advise around planning. My initial thoughts are Arrive Bangkok and have one night before getting an overnight train to Changmai for 3 days, flying from changmai to Phuket, 2 days in Phuket and then 7 days Phi Phi/Krabi before flying back to Bangkok and having a couple of days there. Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary? Would anyone else suggest a different route? Time is important as I can only have two weeks but would like to see as much as I can. Thanks

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Thailand

Hi,

The route is fine and perfectly doable in two weeks. I would spend an extra day in Chiang Mai though.

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Thailand

Dont plan too much..i did and got here and its fallen apart, just know what u want to see, grand palace worth it wat pho close by n wat arun and countless other temples/museums waste time. All can b done in 3hrs. Tours are half internet prices here, forgot the tours with tong etc rip offs wait till u arrive.

If u like nightlife/shopping/walking n exploring u will love bangkok, im in my final day tmrrow of a 4 day stay, before hitting chiang mai, koh samui n angkor wat (all in 2wks) n i really dont wana leave bkk wish id stayed week here n left out CM!

7 days in phi phi is good if ur looking to relax i personally would spend the xtra days elsewhere, lots ppl in bkk iv spoken to head to pattaya cos its close n fun, but depending on ur age krabi would be more upmarket , but no bar girls :(

Edited: 21 July 2013, 20:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Thailand

Thanks for the advice both.

As a young woman I can't say I'm interested in the 'Bar Girls' or going to Pataya which is why Krabi appeals.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Thailand

Hi Brightontravels,

Your itinerary is good for 2 weeks.

Enjoy Thailand.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Thailand

Itinary is fine, for me it would be an extra day in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I would skip the 2 days in Phuket, but that is personal preference only.

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Thailand

We just got back from Thailand after about 17 days there. We did 5 days in Bangkok including 2 day trips and still only scratched the surface. We then flew to Chiang Mai for 3 days could have stayed for 2 weeks so much to see. We again did a day trip there, it really is a beautiful place. Then we finished of with 8 days in Phuket which was way to much time. Wish l stayed longer in CM. Your itinerary depends on what sort of holiday you want. Do you like to just relax on the beach or spend lots of time sight seeing? We travelled with our young children so we had to factor in rest time too. Anywhere you go you'll enjoy.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 11:31
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Thailand

I agree with Chris that you could skip the Phuket part of your itinerary and spend the extra days in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Phuket has become very expensive and has changed completely from the lovely little beach type village it was a few years ago. Have a look at the Phuket Wan site which is a news site for the area and see what sort of problems they are facing there for tourists and locals alike.

8. Re: First time to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:22