We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

Hello. I am from India. I will be visiting Bangkok and Pattaya in early August.

Would like to know which are the trust-worthy shops I can purchase any Gem-stone jewellery from?

After reading many reviews, am now not sure which are the reliable stores to visit for purchases.

(Pls note : My travel agent has offered a visit to a Gem stone factory in Bangkok)

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

Dump your travel agent.

americanexpatchiangmai.com/the-gem-scams-of-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d120…

lonelyplanet.com/thailand/…75907

into-asia.com/bangkok/gemscam/experiences.php

thailandjewelryadvisor.com/2011/…

There are 1000's for places in Bangkok & Pattaya to be seen. Just avoid Gems & stones.

If you like to buy just a fancy accessory kind, you will find lot of places. You can see in Platinum Shopping Mall (Pratunam) and China Town markets.

www.ribboncenter.com/picture_gallery.html

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

In tripadvisor.com/…51428308 a Bangkok Destination Expert mentions a place where he actually has bought a gemstone without regrets.

However, nowadays there are no gemstones that are mined locally in Thailand, so any savings that you can get are due to low cost of workmanship (might be no different compared to India?) and a fairly low 7% value-added tax.

Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

We bought $ 5000. 00 of jewellery from a very classy looking jewler in bkk , it looked and seemed above board , we were told it was tax free for tourists , I had them valued when I got home to Australia and I paid $1500. 00 more than they are worth , someone came up to us at mbk and got us a taxi to the shop for free . Be very wary . It's a con !

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

Bodaleer's appraisal report (post #3) doesn't seem that much out of line with buying retail "anywhere", and then going elsewhere for an appraisal. The wholesale-retail markup (and the resale value on a hoped-for quick turnover) is huge almost anywhere in this industry.

It seems that Bodaleer may have had a typical - or even better-than-typical - retail jewelry experience. If the stuff looks nice, maybe this is a modest success story?

BTW - "tax free for tourists". Did you get the paperwork and get a VAT refund upon departure? It might have reduced your cost basis by about $350?

Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

We were told the government tax exemption didn't qualify us for vat , and appraisals are usually way more , not less , we were conned , simple as that .

Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

It was a qualified. Gemologist valuation which is usually more as it it often used for insurance replacement costs !

Malmö
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

If you are given free and unsolicited transport (taxi/tuktuk) to a gold/jewellry store, that's a good sign you are being taken for a ride, literally. You got off lightly, I believe.

Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

Absolutely , we had never been overseas before , us Aussies are too trusting , once bitten 2ce shy . We know better now .

9. Re: Gem Stone shopping advise : in Bangkok/Pattaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:16