We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok goods and electronics.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok goods and electronics.

Hi - am going to Bangkok next week and was wondering should i buy a camera before i leave or would it be better to wait and buy a cheaper one when I am there?

If anyone knows any prices or waterproof cameras in Bangkok, where to get them and the names that would be great. It doesn't matter if it is well know brand to me or not just something that will get me through the 2 weeks - thanks

also does anyone know the price of memory cards over there or where to buy them cheaply.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

BIG Camera http://www.bigcamera.co.th is a well-known Thai chain. You can see prices for cameras and memory cards on their web site. It listed one Olympus TOUGH model for 13,000 baht. Last year we paid about 14,000 baht for another Olympus TOUGH model.

If you want to buy cheap memory cards, Panthip Plaza on Petchaburi Road not far from Pratunam is an obvious candidate. However, the actually cheap ones may turn out to be counterfeit or ones that could not pass the quality control of the brand name manufacturer. For instance, their operating speed may not be on par, which can be awkward in camera use. Do you want to trust your unique holiday photos to a possibly flaky memory card?

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

Buy back home..firstly the exchange rate means you are losing straight away on any electrical purchases you make here and then the main thing you also need to take into consideration is the question of warranty if the product becomes faulty..Buying cameras in the UK has never been so cheap as it is now especially online..and of course you are covered by UK warranty !

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

I suggest you make major purchases (which might require follow-up service) where after-sales service is convenient at home.

Don't expect international warranties on most merchandise purchased in Thailand. Also, if you're thinking of a camera - wouldn't it be nice to know (well) how to use it before your trip - and *not* to have to decide whether to carry around a box and accessories (USB cables, etc.) that come with a new purchase, or to throw those things away?

Putting those things together suggests against buying international-standard electronics, etc. in Bangkok if you live elsewhere and this isn't a regular visit. That said, you may find somewhat lower pricing in Thailand - especially w.r.t. current promotions and clearance specials ...

If you plan to buy something like electronics in Thailand - google the price for the specific model number back home - to keep from paying more for an optional purchase while on your travels (or, perhaps, to confirm that the price in Bangkok is sufficiently good to justify buying the item there).

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

Buy it back home so if a problem comes up you will have less trouble getting it taken care of. The camera store staff can show you how the camera operates too.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

Yeah its advisable to buy at home for any kind of future problems.

Sanchit

6. Re: Bangkok goods and electronics.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:18