We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun protection in rainy season?

Wirral,England
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sun protection in rainy season?

We will be in Bangkok next week and then moving on to Chiang Mai. Am I right in thinking the UVA/UVB is still very strong even on overcast days, so that a high factor sun protection cream is required?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

Yes why not. It's always good and beneficial to use protection. I would strongly advice sunscreen

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

It would not hurt any to use sun block outside! You can get a sunburn and sun damage on overcast days too.

One problem with some tourists is they they like to stay on the beach for hours and hours and hours! Many young tourists think it is okay but they don't think about the skin damage. But when you are older - especially women who were out in the sun too much - at 30 years old her face could look 50 years old. (Especially if she is a smoker too!) The rest of her body will still be okay where the sun doesn't touch!

I spent a good part of my early life working around water, beaches, out in the open, deserts, jungles, etc. and my face looks 10 years older than my body areas! Living proof that the sun can dry you out like a prune!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

Better safe than sorry!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

Hi

Most people got burnt on the over cast day. You should use sunblock regardless.

Happy holiday :)

Wirral,England
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

Thank you all, that's what I thought.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,828 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

If you have time get some Boots Soltan with built in insect repellent as Dengue Fever caused by the bites of day time mosquitoes is prevalent throughout all of S E Asia.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

I like using the ultra light sunscreens from Ombrelle. It doesnt get sticky in the humidity.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,408 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

I sometimes use sunscreen on arms, legs, back of the neck and that sort of thing but have found that my make up has a built in sun protection, so don't bother with the face. You might find that yours is the same so it would be useful to have a look at the container.

9. Re: Sun protection in rainy season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19