We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok makeup

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok makeup

I am going to Bangkok in a few days and was wondering does anyone know the prices of makeup.

I have been on a few posts where people have said prices are a little cheaper than UK , but big brand tend not to be much lower. Does anyone know how much cheaper it is?

secondly , many people have talked about being able to get cheap conterfit makeup. Has anyone tried it and know if it is any good? I have tried conterfit perfume before and tend to find it just a good if not better, was wondering is it the same for other cosmetics?

Thanks

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,448 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok makeup

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k670…

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok makeup

Hi

If you are talking about the genuine products then the prices are not different from what you pay at home. The imported tax for luxury are expensive in Thailand. Those big brand name in cosmetics are included.

If any one tell you they got big brand name cosmetics really cheap in Thailand I can assured you that they either got scammed in to buy something not genuine or they buy knocked off products.

If you're looking for genuine products head to cosmetics counter in the department stores only.

You better off buy them from duty free or from reputable online site.

Cheers,

Edited: 28 July 2013, 07:40
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok makeup

If you want to buy genuine international branded products, department stores like the Central or Robinsons chains are good places to do it, since they participate in the tourist VAT refund scheme. http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/process.html You will need your passport at the shop. You may also be able to make use of their tourist 5% discount card. The tourist discount and VAT refund do not provide a good deal for generic stuff that you can buy at any local market, but they may make sense for international branded goods like make-up.

If plan to buy in a duty/tax free shop, be aware that the King Power shops at Thailand airports are quite expensive. Cosmetics were much cheaper at the Helsinki airport duty free shop. I'm quite willing to believe the claims that King Power only discount you the 7% VAT tax and not the import duty which may be as high as 30%. It is better to do your duty free shopping before arriving in Thailand and pack the goods in your checked baggage for the return trip.

An alternative to fake products is buying branded cosmetics made in Thailand. One supplier is http://www.bsccosmetology.com which has counters in Central and Robinsons department stores. However, their color schemes might be not right for a European. Most products are also labeled as whitening, since pale skin is considered to be the key to beauty and success in Thailand. You might find such products working exactly at odds to your own desires.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok makeup

A couple of years ago I gave up looking at duty free prices for cosmetics and perfumes as it seems that the prices vary very little from any retail outlet. I found a fantastic on line site which is consistently a good deal cheaper than anything I've seen elsewhere. If you want to send me a PM I'll share my secret.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok makeup

I dont use makeup myself. However, the expat ladies I know buy their items when in home leave in UK.

This indicates makeup etc. is cheaper back home.

Whyxwould you even consider 'conterfit' stuff. Is your skin worth nothing to you? You are going to smear god knows what into your face?

6. Re: Bangkok makeup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19