We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Protests August 2013?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok Protests August 2013?

I have just read this story on the Bangkok Post web site:

bangkokpost.com/news/politics/362387/isa-enf…

It says that protests are due to start this weekend and police are mobilising. We arrive on Wednesday 7th August - the day it is supposed to be the highest chance of protests.

My question to the locals of Bangkok who are on this forum....should I be concerned about this? Is it likely to escalate? I know in the past some of this stuff has just been huff and puff and nothing really results. Could this be one of those situations? (here's hoping!!)

Thanks for your help :)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

I don't think anyone other than protest leaders can answer that question. Bangkok is a big place and there is plenty of room for you to stay away from any protests.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

Ask the "3rd Hand".

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

What is the 3rd hand? I'm just asking a simple question. Please be nice :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

The political parties, The Thai and english language press, domestic Thailand forums and other sources are trying their best to bring everything to a head. Whether or not they succeed, only time will tell.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

Thanks OctoberSix :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
168 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

My daughter and I were in BKK during the Red Shirt uprising, and coincidently are in Bkk now. When we were there then, I did the following:

1) hired a guide so that I would not accidently end up somewhere that was not safe,

2) watched the paper and changed hotels to keep the protests and my family at opposite ends of the city,

3) was prepared if need be to leave.

A few days after we left, the shopping center was burned down.

There were some pretty major things happening while we were there, but mainly we just saw Red Shirts buzzing around town.

So far nothing has happened here.

As a comparison, I live in Seattle and was there when WTO protests shut down the city (we are much smaller than BKK). However, if you were 1/2 mile away, you would not know anything was going on.

Be safe.

kevin

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

Dont worry too much, bangkok is big enough, one side protest, the other side, life goes on as usual. Just avoid the protest areas Have fun

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

Oh my god. Quite risky business with all this demonstrations.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

we will also be there next week- where is the actual protest area?

I assume parliament but not sure where that is

thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok Protests August 2013?

I received this from the Aussie Government today... It lists the three areas...

The Thai Government has announced the activation of the Internal Security Act (ISA) in three of Bangkok’s fifty districts until 10 August 2013. The districts are Phra Nakhon, Dusit and Pomprab Sattruphai where there is likely to be a larger concentration of security personnel. You should follow the instructions of local authorities in these areas.