We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Kochi (Cochin...
2 posts
Save Topic
choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Hello TA,

My husband and I, with our toddler, and my mother are traveling to Bangkok in mid-September for a week. For all of us, it will be our first time there. I am trying to figure out what neighborhood to stay in. This is mostly a food and (window) shopping trip to treat my mother (not so much a culture and adventure trip.) Here are some of the things we are planning to do -- floating markets; Siam Square, MBK malls; Chatuchak; Platinum Mall; Lumphini Park, river cruise, a cooking class at Mai Kadee.

1. Would it be better to just take taxis everywhere (as long as we avoid rush hour) since there are four of us? Would it make a huge difference money-wise? We'll probably be doing one trip + return everyday, not more.

2. I am tempted to stay somewhere very central such as Silom/Sukhumwit so that we can walk short distances and have short cab rides. On the other hand, I came across good things about Thonburi. I love the idea of a mellow, older neighborhood. Would it make sense to stay in Thonburi and take the river express into Silom everyday?

3. Any other neighborhoods that would be close to the things we are planning to do? We probably won't go to the palace or the temples very much.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Silom, Sukhumvit and Asok areas will allow you to walk to many things. Also you can use the Skytrain for some places too far to walk to. Lots of hotels in all price ranges. Meter taxis are okay but DO NOT bargain the cost of the ride unless you want to spend more than what the meter fare would be.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

For hotel help include a price range. Four people in one room is not as easy to find places for. Evergreen Place is in the Pratunam area but close to Asia Hotel where the Ratchathewi Skytrain is located.

tripadvisor.com/…51819873

(The Skytrain can take you to MBK, Sukhumvit Road shopping, Siam shopping, Patpong, Chatuchak and connect with Airport Rail Link.)

Up to you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

I would and do choose Thonburi every time over the some of the tourist hell holes you may find in Bangkok.

I stay to the west of the river in the Wongwian Yai area. I have cheap markets, the BTS, locals with a smile on their face, and never fear being ripped off by tuks tuks taxis or any other touts that may be in your face in the busier more touristy parts of the city

Because there are so few tourists and yes little English is spoken, you always get an appreciation and a smile from the shop keepers for any tourist. Staying close to the river is also a very good option as you have the excellent day time river transport, less congestion, pollution, better views, and a much fresher feel ain a very humid city

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Looking at what your plans are I would stay somewhere in Siam area, plenty of (window) shopping and easy transport links.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

The Pathumwan Princess which is next door to the MBK shopping mall is a good option.

Kochi (Cochin...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Thank you all. I have been digging around the forum and I am embarrassed to see how often the same question has been answered. Appreciate your patience.

I am considering staying in Siam Square for some frantic shopping and then moving to Thonburi for the rest of the week.

roverEngland, if you have any suggestions for places to stay, please post. Right now, I am looking at apartment rentals through airbnb and tripadvisor. (2-bedroom apartments for $60-75 per night

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Hello

In Wongwian Yai most people stop at the Loft Inn which I believe is very highly rated 21st out of 729 Bangkok hotels on the Tripadvisor site. This is about 300 metres just around the corner from the BTS at Wongwian Yai.

Near the river check out Ibis Riverside,and Bossotel which get mentioned on here often

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Thonburi is too far out from attractions and famous shopping centers. Sukhumvit will get you close to everything and give access to the sky train.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

Thonburi is a large area extending from the Chao Phraya river to the west. The BTS skytrain also now goes to the west of the river to KrungThonburi and Wongwian Yai as well as now the newly opened Talat Phlu. Beside Talat Phlu there is a first class huge shopping mall one of the finest in Bangkok Thra Phra (the mall). There is other fine shopping malls in the Thonburi area

The river to which Thonburi area starts includes many of Bangkok's attractions including Wat Arun and has a superb cheap river transport system

Thonburi too far out from the attractions!!?? Its closer to the river and the cities major attractions than Sukhumvit.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

I have lived along Sukhumvit and in Pomprab (near the Golden Mount), and have stayed in the Wong Wian Yai area.

For a first visit, especially with a toddler, I would look for an area more centrally located than Wong Wian Yai. Wong Wian Yai might be great for a subsequent visit. Though it's away from central areas, Wong Wian Yai is hardly "suburban" let alone "rural" for most visitors.

For space, find a place convenient to a park - where you can all enjoy family time, using a playground, tossing a ball, and watching others relaxing after a long day of urban stuff. Indeed, save the park time to 6 PM and later, for cooler weather and a better vibe from others enjoying the parks. Good parks convenient to Sukhumvit Road include Benjakiti and Benjasiri (each adhacent to a BTS or underground station). You could stay near those parks - or just get to them by public transport (or taxi). Lumphini Park could also do, but I personally prefer the other two (and some others) to Lumphini.

Another nice park, IMHO, is SantiPhap Park. It's got a very nice evening vibe, a playground and open spaces, etc. It's along Soi Rangnam where there are nearby hotels in a wide range of prices, is also convenient to Victory Monument (BTS station, night market, etc) and home to an eclectic range of restaurants (and a Tops (super)Market for more snacks and sundries than you can get in a 7-11).

10. Re: choosing between thonburi and sukhumwit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:17